Mr. Black's Lecture.

Last evening Mr. Black lectured on Robert Burns, in Sever 11.

He began by stating at some length the relations existing between English and Scotch literature, in order to make clear the position which Burns filled. Although Scotch songs and ballads had for a long time been handed down from generation to generation, it was not till the end of the seventeenth century that they began to be known. Then it was that Ramsey set going the movement which culminated in the poetry of Burns, in the beautiful representation of every-day, homely experiences. In 1750 was born the true precursor of Burns, Robert Furgerson, from whom the greater poet gathered many ideas and suggestions.

Robert Burns, was born in 1759. He was taken up by the tide of song and melody which was then rising, and carried it to its highest point. He was born poor and all his life had to fight against adversity. He was a hard working plonghman, too poor even to go to school. What little time he could find for himself, he devoted to getting knowledge.

The poetical career of Burns may be divided into three periods. The first ends with the publication of his first book of songs in 1786. It took by storm young and old alike. Although at first sight it seems of limited compass, the few notes in it of absolute sincerity make it great. During the period he was the poet, preacher and prophet of the peasants, of whom he was one. His power of sympathy overflowed upon all things.

The second is the period of Edinburgh, and Ellisland. In 1787 appeared his second book of poetry, and in 1790 his "Tam O' Shanter," that excellent combination of the terrible and the ludicrous. More pieces of this sort would have bridged the gap between him and the first class poet. The third period is the melancholy one of his last days, but in which he often sings at his best.

He died in 1796 in Dumfries, at the age of thirty-seven, after what might be called a fortunate life, coming as it did between two ages, so that he might belong to both.