The Monthly.

"Some Thoughts on University Education in the United States" is the title of the "graduate article" of the June number of the Monthly. The fact that the author, Charles J. Bonaparte of Baltimore, originally delivered the article in the form of an address at the laying of the corner stone of the Hall of Philosophy at the Catholic University of America, in April of the present year must make it of peculiar interest to us. Harvard has always stood for the most liberal views not only in education but in religion, and this fact has been so emphasized and the contrast between Harvard's liberal position and the narrow views entertained by other more sectarian universities has been so often dwelt upon that we are apt to take it for granted that any institution which stands for some particular form of religious belief is thereby handicapped in the race for true learning, and must surely be distanced by those whose position on religious questions is not so strictly defined. Like a refreshing breeze comes Mr. Bonaparte's answer to such a charge. He says:

"If the facts to be imparted are culled over, if the theories to be expounded are colored, if anything is suppressed or anything is distorted in presenting the result of current scientific thought and investigation, you have a school, not of philosophy, but of sophistry. But it is given to try all things, in calm confidence that the unperverted mind will hold fast to that which is best; if you are Catholic, not in what you teach, but in the spirit and end of your teaching, then indeed you may free humanity from a spectre before which it yet trembles, and but yesterday seemed ready to despair." It is such a spirit as this that prevades the entire article, - a spirit which Harvard may be proud to have her sons possess.

W. V. Moody's article "On the Introduction of the Chorus into Modern Drama" is an interesting discussion of a question which has been much agitated in its day, though little of recent years, and shows a wide knowledge of the subject and close familiarity with the experiments, which, since the Renaissance, have been made with the classic form of chorus.

"The Duck and His Friends" is a charming little story by Algeron Tassin, "after the German manner."

"The Over-Production of Opinion," by D. S. Miller, is a discussion of the "requisites for a successful study of those complex matters which we call the problems of life." The great difficulty of the article lies in the size of the subject, and the difficulty of grasping it fully, and while it shows much thought it is still a trifle vague and inconclusive.

No one who is familiar with certain verses and charades which have appeared in some of the monthly magazines from time to time can be at loss to name the author of the three Charades; such clever turns and dainty phrazing can come from but one pen.

The other poetry of the number consists of "A Requiem" by Hugh McCulloch Jr., and "Sea Shells" by W. V. Moody.