The New Course in Physical Training.

We desire again to call attention to the new course in physical training, just established in the Lawrence Scientific School. A short description of the course has already appeared in the CRIMSON and a more detailed one may be found in the prospectus of the course. Its object is to fit men to be competent athletic instructors in schools, hospitals, the army, the navy, etc. Heretofore such instructing has been done mostly by men who are merely athletes. The course proposes to add brains to muscle, and make these athletes competent medical men or athletic subjects. Men with these qualifications are extremely rare, and are now commanding salaries of from two to five thousand dollars. It is also proposed to use the students of this course as instructors of small sections of men in the gymnasium, and to assist and relieve the captains of the various crews. Such a plan must be of great benefit to our athletics.

This is an experiment, and present arrangements and its future scope will depend largely on the demand for it. The members of the faculty are ready to receive applications for the course and it is very much desired that all men in the university who think of taking the course next year should consult within the week with either Professor Shaler or Dr. Sargent about the matter, so that some idea may be formed of the probable size of the classes, and that final arrangements may be made for them. So far, some half dozen men have signified their intention of entering the course.