The 'Varsity Crew.

Words cannot express the deep regret felt by the 'varsity crew because Harry Keyes will be unable to lend his services as coach. Several fruitless attempts have been made to get Mr. Keyes to come to Cambridge. The work of coaching will consequently fall upon Adams and Perkins, and the former will be unable to go New London.

The crew row daily from twelve to sixteen miles. Last Saturday the men made their first trial row for speed, and more fast spins will be rowed this week. Yesterday the crew tried the new paper shell to see how it compares with the cedar one. The crew is rowing hard but not well. The stroke is too short. The last part of the recover is too fast while the first part is a trifle slow. The men are not sharp enough on the first part of the stroke.

The crew expect to go down to New London next Monday. The launch is in bad shape and unfit to take, but lack of funds prevents the purchase of a new one. Only four of last year's crew are at present in the 'varsity boat, so the thought that all of last year's winning crew are in college can not be depended upon for victory. Bond is rowing at 3 in place of Cummings, but the latter will be given another trial this week. Ninde has been called home on account of sickness and it is doubtful if he will row again this year.

The crew with the weights of the men as they rowed yesterday is appended:

Lynam, M. S, Stroke, 168

Kelton '93, 7, 192

Acton M. S., 6, 187

Waters '94, 5, 179

Winthrop L. S., 4, 165

Bond '94, 3, 170

Rantoul '92, 2, 168

Newell '94, Bow, 168