The Crew at New London.

NEW LONDON, June 7, 1892.

The 'varsity crew left Leavitt & Peirce's about 1.25 o'clock Monday by a barge which brought it to the Park Square Station promptly for the 2.02 train. The men had good seats and after a change at Providence, they had an entire car to themselves.

The hearty cheering and well wishing of the fellow students just upon leaving Cambridge was by no means insignificant in raising the spirits of the men. Several of this crew have taken their last leave from Cambridge for such an occasion. No less than four of them do not expect to row again, and such heartfelt enthusiasm is indeed touching.

At about 5.30 the train rolled into the station at New London. The boats, in charge of Hart and the substitutes, had gone ahead and were loaded upon a boat and waiting. In a few moments, the launch steamed around the pier and the men were soon off, up the river to the quarters. At the float all hands took hold and within a short time Charlie Hart had a boat ready for the crew to drop into the Thames for the first row. In spite of the quickness and smoothness with which everything passed along, on account of the large number of things to do, it was about 8 o'clock before the crew pushed off for the first time in a new cedar shell built by Wm. Davy of Cambridge. With a promise of a short swim upon coming in the men gripped the water in a manner which in many respects has not been equalled this year. The row was short. A good dinner awaited, and in due time disappeared.

There are several musicians in the party, and after dinner the short evening was pleasantly spent. At a little past 10 the familiar "all in" sounded and all were quickly in bed for a nine hour's rest. This morning the crew rowed again without a coach. However the work was satisfactory compared with the work in Cambridge. This afternoon Perkins came bringing the welcome news that Harry Keyes would be with us Thursday. Three-times-three for Keyes rang out with a clearness and volume that speake like nothing else the confidence all feel in him. Then arose another for Perkins that by no means lacked vigor and sincerity.

A new kitchen has been built, giving a great superiority to the convenience and comfort of the men and all concerned in the work. This new arrangement has been long needed, and will be a great saving. The catering has probably never been equalled here, and there will also be a great financial saving.

The men are all in excellent spirits although they appreciate the tremendous task that rests upon them, and they are determined to do everything within their power to give the spectators a good race and represent the University in a creditable manner.