Recent Gifts to Harvard.

By far the largest of any of the recent gifts to Harvard is that of Dr. Henry Willard Williams, who has given $25,000 as a special fund toward the maintenance of a Professorship in Ophthalmology in the Medical School. In 1891 Dr. Williams resigned this professorship which he had held for twenty years.

The next largest amount is $8333.33, the second installment of Mr. Frederick L. Ames' subscription of $25,000 for the expenses of the Arnold Arboretum. During the past year the library of the Arboretum has been very much enlarged. Professor Sargent has presented to it his library, containing about four thousand bound volumes and several thousand unbound pamphlets devoted to Botany, Dedrology, Forestry, Horticulture, Geography, and related subjects. In addition to this, Professor Sargent has received vouchers to the amount of $5453.17 for the recent purchases of books which have been made for the library. The Arboretum has also received from Mr. John L. Gardner for current expenses the sum of $2000, the second installment of his subscription of $6000.

The legacy of $6000, given by Claudius Marcellus Jones, has been devoted to the establishment in the Medical School of a scholarship bearing his name, with an income at present of $250 per year.

The Medical School has also received from Miss Lucy Ellis the sum of $2000 for current expenses during the present year.

Of the sum of $3500, guaranteed by Mr. Arthur Rotch, for instruction in architecture in the Lawrence Scientific School, for 1893-94, $1000 has been received. Professor Shaler has also received at different times for the immediate needs of the school, $250 from Mr. Albert A. Pope, and $250 from another friend of the college.

The Law School has received through Mr. Louis D. Brandus the additional sum of $1000, to provide for the course in the Law School for 1893-94 on the Peculiarities of Massachusetts Law.

The Botanic Garden has received from Miss Anna C. Lowell the sum of $1000. From Mrs. Henry Draper of New York, about $1700 on account of the Draper memorial has been received toward the expenses of the observatory. Through Mr. Henry W. Spellman $622 has been received on account of the George William Sawin Fund. From the will of Edwin Conant, Esq., about $1200 has been received. G. W. Wales, Esq., has made his annual gift of $200 to the college library and Professor Farlow his annual gift of $450.

The library of the German Department has received $165 through Professor Schilling and through Professor de Sumichrast the French Department library has received $120.

The gift of Mr. James Gordon Bennett to the college of $1000 has already been mentioned.