Football Practice.

The 'varsity practice yesterday afternoon was not very encouraging as the playing was very loose and uneven and the men, with a few exceptions, did not seem to enter into the spirit of the game, in spite of the fact that they were coached to be energetic. There were several important changes made in the positions of the men and this may in some degree account for the general poor playing. The elevens lineup as follows.

FIRST SECOND

Hallowell l. e. Foster

Newell l.t. Upton, Lewis

Acton l. g. Whitten, Perry

Mackie, Brice c. Brice, Mackie

Waters r. g. Blake

Upton, Lewis, Mason r. t. Mason, Upton

Emmons r. e. Collamore

Trafford Quarter Fairchild

Gray Halves Burgess

Halves Oppenheim

Gage Halves Gould

Brewer Full Fennessy

The men did not take very well to their new positions. Acton played poorly both in blocking and getting through and his interference was of but little use. Mackie, who has played centre before, did not play at all well; he was slow in getting the ball into play and was outplayed by Brice. Trafford did fairly well but was handicapped by his sprained wrist. Gage played a brilliant game, tackling very well, and also made many good runs with the ball. The interference was very poor, the tacklers were not knocked down as they should have been, but were only pushed aside and very naturally came in behind the interference and got the runner. This was done repeatedly and should be stopped. There was also too much hand interference. The line men did not show up at all well and the second eleven backs made repeated gains through the centre and around the ends, especially the right end. The men started from their positions before the ball was snapped back, often giving the play away and causing a change of the signals. This fault certainly should be corrected. The coaching was done by Cumnock and Cranston. Lake was on the field in his foot-ball suit but only practised punting.