ECONOMY IN DRESS.

By Frank D. Somers and Park St.

Believing this special edition of the "CRIMSON" will be read by many thousands of college men; and knowing the subject of clothes to be one of interest to them; we shall give all readers a few points on economy in dress, appropriate to the present time.

In the first place, it is never economy to buy cheap clothes, for with them you are never well dressed. Good clothes, made by some tailor in whom you have confidence, are more economical in the end, for there is a good "tone" to them, even when they are old. In buying the highest grade of garments you are not paying for "name," but you are getting the best of everything from the wool to the finished garment. The wool used in the finest English cloths, is allowed to lie over two years, after being dyed, before being used; you can readily see how much more reliable the colors would be than when the wool is transferred from the sheep's back to the ready-made suit inside of six months, as is often deno in this country. This principle runs through the whole subject of high class clothes. In the second place, never affect the careless in dress. Literary men are often inclined to do this to show their disregard of conventionalities. Though one should never be a "clothes loving man," as Carlyle calls the "Dandy;" still you own it to your friends and to your position in society to conform to the customs of refined society. True economy demands good clothes of quiet colors and patterns, unless you can afford and assortment. The rough cheviots, if composed of two distinct shades, one quite dark and the other light, will nearly always look poorly when the rough surface wears off; the best wearing colors are without contrasting shades. The blue and black cheviots and Oxford mixtures are excellent on the ground of economy, the Oxfords being at present the popular thing; and as it is good form to wear this sack with other trousers, you have practically two suits. The rough, soft finished goods for cutaways and frocks are not economical; but there are many materials which are rough enough to be "in it" will wear well and the fashion of long skirt can easily be remodeled if the fashion changes. Therefore a moderately rough cutaway or frock, of good material, will be good economy.

On the subject of evening dress, if the coat and waistcoat are properly cut and proportioned, and made from tasty cloth, a good dress suit will last a man through his entire college course. But a dress suit is the worst thing to experiment on; many of them are out of style when new, simply because they are not properly cut. The Tuxedo can be dispensed with, if one is to be economical, but not the dress suit, for that is indispensable for every occasion of any importance after sun-down. The long frock is the swell coat of the season, but cannot be obtained in proper style from the cheap shops. Much depends upon the proportions and fitting, for if the waist be only half an inch too long or too short, or the skirt not have the proper flare, the whole effect is bad. The loose overcoats, now so popular, are another illustration. This coat, a first-class one, will last in good shape four years, and then look better than a new cheap one. The Ulster is perhaps the best garment to get cheap, as it is only worn nights or stormy days, or for travelling, and a good one can be bought ready-made if you do not mind looking like a car driver. The finest custom houses show you special patterns which are very swell, though perhaps not economical.

The above outfit, with two or three pairs of extra trousers, will fit one out for the winter in good shape, and if selected carefully, will prove truly economical. Being in the business, it would be in bad taste to recommend my own firm. But put yourself in the hands of any one of the five or six first-class city tailors, one in whom you have confidence as to what is proper, artistic, and in good proportions.

Yours respectfully,