The Yale Eleven.

The football coaches at Yale have recently been striving to strengthen the rush-line. Brown at left guard seems to be the most reliable man, and Thomas at left end approaches him in form. Cunha, centre on last year's freshman team, is practically sure of that position on the 'varsity this fall, for McConnell has already proved too light for the big college games. H. Brown is looked upon to fill right guard in spite of his light weight and inexperience. Leary, who was tackle last year, is being tried in the position, but is also too light and will probably return to his old place. Stillman, who will undoubtedly fill the other tackle, played in both the Harvard and Princeton games last year.

Behind the line, the situation is giving less concern. In order to save himself for the more important games of the next two weeks, Captain McBride has not entered the recent practice. Sharpe, who has been Yale's best ground-gainer so far this season, and who will do all the drop-kicking, is playing left halfback. For the other halfback position, there are several prominent candidates. As Sharpe and McBride both weigh over 180 pounds, a lighter man for end-circling has been sought and found in Kiefer. Against the smaller colleges he has shown fine ability to score. Adams, of last year's freshman team, and Shattuck, substitute on the '98 'varsity, are two other light men whose work has been very satisfactory. Fincke is first choice for quarterback, with De Saulles as substitute.

The policy has been adopted of keeping for elevens at work daily and of giving them two or three practice games a week. The fact that the 'varsity has not been able to score more than one touchdown a day against the second eleven, indicates how strong a second eleven the new system has organized. The kicking game is also being developed, and, through the excellent punting of Sharpe, has had much success. In this respect Bates was decidedly out-classed on Saturday.