YALE WINS

A Glorious Contest-Fine Exhibition by Both Elevens-How the Points Were Made.

Harvard has lost the game, but not till after a desperate struggle. Twenty-five thousand people saw the Yale eleven win the championship at Hampden Park this afternoon.

When the two elevens ran out on the field they were welcomed by mighty ovations. A few moments they passed and fell upon the ball, then all was ready for the great struggle.

Harvard won the toss and Yale holds the northern goal. Harvard started with a flying wedge and gained twenty yards.

HARVARD. YALE.

Emmons, left-end-right Greenway.

Manahan, left-tackle-right Beard.

Acton, left-guard-right Hickok.

Lewis, centre Stillman.

Mackie, right-guard-left McCrea.

Newell, right-tackle-left Murphy.

Stevenson, right-end-left Hinkey.

Beale, quarterback, Adee.

Waters, halfback Armstrong.

Wrightington, halfback Thorne.

Brewer, fullback Butterworth.

Two yards and five yards were gained on rushes through the center, another rush and the ball was on the 20 yard line.

The men butted centre and guards backed the centre in a bunch. The ball was pushed to the 15 yard line on this play.

Here Harvard lost the ball on downs and Butterworth kicked to the 45 yard line.

Yale got the ball on four downs.

And after short rushes Butterworth kicked. Brewer misjudged and Wrightington secured it on 10 yard line. Brewer kicked back to 25 yard line but Yale at once rushed it back.

Harvard secured the ball on a fumble, Brewer kicked and Yale missed the kick.

Rushes and another kick put the ball into Yale territory. At once Butterworth made a wonderful kick of 60 yards.

Brewer could not kick far against the wind, but soon Yale dropped the ball and Harvard by her favorite play of withdrawing all but three or four men from the line charged into Yale again and again. A rush through the Yale tackle gained two yards more. Mackie plowed through the centre but Harvard lost through holding.

5 yards went to Yale for off side play. Yale tried the Harvard centre and found it a veritable stone wall.

Butterworth tried for a goal from the field but the ball went wide from the goal.

Harvard massed in a wedge on the 25 yard line but made no gain.

Short rushes proved equally futile and Brewer kicked to the 40 yard line.

Yale tried to run around the end, but Harvard broke through. The Yale man dropped the ball and it was Harvard's, on the 40 yard line.

Charge after charge was made through the centre. It was on the 45, the 50, the centre line. The ball was in Yale territory now, but the rushes did not stop. 3 and 2 yard rushes came thick and fast.

50, 45, 40, 35 yard lines were passed. 7 minutes more remained to play. Could we make a touch-down? Off-side play gave Harvard 5 yards more and the Crimson was rampant. Right straight through the centre they went again. Now the ball was on the 25 yard line and for the first time a rush was unsuccessful.

In a moment more, when Yale secured the ball on downs, the blue waved and the crimson was still. Butterworth made a poor kick which netted only twenty yards. Harvard carried it right straight back.

The first charge counted for ten yards. The second and third, however, advanced the hall but little.

It was Yale's ball at the 30 yard line. A kick by Butterworth changed matters enentirely. It was Harvard's on the 30 yard line.

Here a short rush ended the first half.

In the first half the wind told largely in Yale's favor and the ball was in Harvard's territory a good share of the time.

Butterworth kicked well but never with Butterwoath's success. The aggressive work of the Harvard eleven was superb. Time and time again this new system of Harvard in mass plays worked with wonderful effect.

The defensive work was also decidedly stronger than Yales. Harvard repeatedly held the Yale back and repeatedly gained the ball on four downs.

The individual playing was almost beyond criticism.

Eacn man filled his position with fine judgment.

Harvard's gains aggregated more than Yale's, the line was quicker in breaking through, and the tackling was new and hard.

On the other hand Yale did not do so well as was expected, she showed weakness by repeated kicking. Though the ball was repeatedly in Harvard's territory a goal was never seriously threatened.

Yale's mass playas did not work very well. Her aggressive was far weaker than her defense. Her worst faults were in fumbling and off side play.

This was due to Harvard's new tricks. Individually, Hinkey and Murphy did the best work. Green way also followed the ball well. Butterworth did the best of any of the backs.

Thorne was better an tackling than running. Armstrong did not show any particular abilities. Adee tackled well and passed fairly well. Beard at right tackle tackled well, but showed too much nervousness.

It was owing to Beard's off side play with that of Hickok that two or three times lost Yale 5 yards. Yale played all around with less confidence and less precision than Harvard.

The only plays where they successfully twarthed Harvard's rushes were where Hinkey was concerned. The greatest surprise was that Harvards's backs gained only through Yale's bosted strong centre.

The second half opened up with the flying wedge, but gained only five yards. A shout went up from the crimson grandstand. Yale answered, gather herself together and plowed through Harvard's left for repeated gains. A charge through the centre was also successful.

Armstrong broke from the line and carried the ball to the 15 yard line. Two rushes were made with little success. Thorne then carried the ball to the 10 yard line. It looked like a touch-down.

Yard by yard Yale forced the ball to the 5 yard line and the blue went wild. Another yard was gained, and then Butterworth went across the line for a tochdown. Goal was kicked.

It took Yale just eight minutes to make the goal.

Harvard was not daunted. The flying wedge made 18 yards, but the ball was lost on downs. Yale's form was infinitely better than in the first half.

Then Armstrong made a long rush that carried the ball to Harvard's 35 yard line. By short rushes ten yards more were gained.

But then Harvard gathered herself together and secured the ball on four downs.

A charge was made through Yale for 5 yards.

Wrightingroh made a magnificent spur 8 around the left end for fully twelve yards. Brewer by a run even a bit longer carried the ball to in 50 yard line.

Then Harvard lost about two yards on a try around the left end. Yale's offside play gave Harvard 5 yards more and the ball was now fairly in the centre of the field.

A buck through the center carried the ball into Yale territory. Around the left, Wrightington went for five yards. Brewer made a small gain.

It seems impossible for Harvard, however, to get the ball entirely down the field. On she went, nevertheless, for five yards which her mass play gave her. Then, while the doctors looked after men who were slightly hurt, Harvard reckoned her chances.

Twenty minutes more to play, and the ball on Yale's 45 yard line. Once more around Yale's left end, for a small gain, and then Harvard chances took a set back when Brewer lost some six yards, and another rush gave the ball to Yale on downs.

Yale made good solid gains, and then by magnificent playing Harvard gets the ball on downs. The wind had now died out and this great advantage which Yale had in the first half was never had by Harvard.

Waters was hurt in a rush through center and Dunlap had to be substituted. Brewer now kicked to the 25 yard line.

Short rushes by Butterworth carried the leather back 16 yards, and a kick make the teams line up in the centre of the field.

Brewer's kick was stopped.

Butterworth did phenomenal work.

The ball was carried by Short away down the field within 3 yards of goal.

Harvard made a desperate stand and took the ball on downs.

Brewer kicked 45 yards.

Yale then rushed the ball into Harvard's territory.

The game was called with the ball on Harvard's 40 yard line.