Funeral of Professor Torrey.

The funeral of Professor Henry Warren Torrey was held yesterday at noon in Appleton Chapel. Professor Peabody conducted the services, which were as simple as possible. There as now music.

The pallbearers were: President Eliot; Solomon Lincoln, president of the Board of Overseers; Professor Goodwin, Rev. George E. Ellis, D. D., and Dr. Morrill Wyman, both of Professor Torrey's class (1833), and Thomas Cushing.

The interment was at Mount Auburn, but later the body will be taken to Plymouth, Mass., and placed in the family tomb.

Henry Warren Torrey, son of John Torrey, was born in Roxbury, November 11, 1814. He attended the Adams School, in Boston, and received the Franklin Medal at the age of ten. He entered Harvard College in 1829 and in 1833 graduated as second scholar in his class. He studied Law in New Bedford in the office of his uncle, the late Charles Henry Warren, and was admitted to the bar, but trouble with his eyes prevented him from practising. He taught school in Providence for some time and afterward went on a voyage to the Azores with Governor Swain and his son Robert. On his return he taught for two years in the Boston Latin School.

From 1844 to 1848 he was tutor in History and instructor in Elocution in Harvard College. From 1848 to 1856 he was at the head of the most successful private school for girls in Boston. In 1856 he was made McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History in Harvard College, as the successor of Jared Sparks. He spent one year in Europe and began his work as professor in 1857. He held the McLean Professorship until 1886, when he was made Professor Emeritus. In 1888 he was chosen Overseer of Harvard College and he held this position till his death.