Professor Peabody's Talk

Professor F. G. Peabody gave an interesting talk before the Christian Association last evening on recent discoveries made at Jerusalem by which the probable locality of the site of the Crucifixion has been ascertained. The old traditions about this site were that it was discovered by the mother of the Emperor Constantine. who learned through a vision. Excavations were made, the story tells, and three crosses were round. The cross of Christ was pointed out by a sick woman, who was healed by touching it. The site as thus determined was within the second wall of the city, that which stood in the time of Christ.

The Bible, on the contrary, implies in every instance that Christ was crucified outside the walls. The Bible accounts point out also that the site was conspicuous from the city, for it could be seen from afar; that it was near a highway, for the passers by stopped and railed at Christ on the cross; that it was nigh unto the city;" that it was close by a garden, in which was a sepulchre, in which they laid Christ; that the place was called "the place of a skull."

Not far from the Damascus Gate stands a hill that looks exceedingly like a skull in the sunlight, and could well give to the hill the name, the "place of a skull" Close at hand have been discovered the remains of an old Roman road leading directly to Herod's Tower in the city from which it could easily be seen. Moreover, just back of the hill stands a garden, and along its edge runs a wall, pretty well buried under the accumulated dust of ages. Excavations have brought to light a tomb in the wall, protected by a rolling stone, just such as the Bible suggests was there. The place has been left unharmed for centuries, because it is within the enclosure of a Mahometan grave-yard. Recent travellers proclaim it one of the most interesting spots in the Holy Land.

The Association voted the following. with regard to the proposed religious building: Resolved, that this association heartily commend the action of Mr. Edwin H. Abbot and the class of '55 in their proposal to erect a religious building in honor of Phillips Brooks; first, because the erection of such a building was the earnest desire of the late Bishop, and second, because, as a memorial of him, it will keep fresh in the minds of the students of Harvard University the ideal to which he attained."