NEW ENGLAND MAGAZINE.

The chief attraction of the February New England Magazine is an article on "Literary Chicago" by William Morton Payne. The writer deals ably with this new subject, shows a critical and withal philosophic spirit, and writes in an easy and polished style. The article is profusely and aptly illustrated.

The "Pilgrims' Church in Plymouth" and "Kentucky's Pioneer Town" are, unless one has a special interest in history, rather more instructive than entertaining.

"The Story of a New England Parish in the Days of the Province" is however so quaint as to arouse universal interest. The remaining historical article, a "Biographical By-path through Early New England History," is an unpretentious, half-gossipy tale.

There are some lively sketches; "Ye Romance of Casco Bay" is a clever pen picture, "Fayal" is particularly bright and is effectively illustrated, while "Tacoma" is a breezy account of this western city of eastern habits.

The poetry is not more than fair, and the chapters in "John Ballantyne, American" are hardly more. "The Girls of Dangar" and "Nesbit" are rather good short stories, but "A Notch in a Principality" is easily the best thing in the story line. It is written by Frank Bailey Millard, and will add still more to this young author's reputation.