Prof. Norton's Suggestion.

In yesterday's Globe, Professor Norton made the following suggestion in regard to a Phillips Brooks Memorial at Harvard.

"Among the various projects of a memorial of Phillips Brooks there is, perhaps, none more appropriate than one which would associate his memory with the university which he loved and served so well, and which should keep his example fresh in the hearts of youth from generation to generation.

There is at this moment one object of supreme interest to Harvard University fitted to be such a memorial of him, and one need, beyond all others, the supply of which would be a benefit to secure perpetual gratitude.

The need is of a proper building for the library and reading-room, which must form a part of it. It would be difficult to exaggerate the insufficiency of the present building for the proper arrangement and care of the constantly increasing store of books which already exceed its capacity, as well as the unfitness of the accommodations which it affords to the constantly increasing number of students that frequent it.

A committee of the faculty has been engaged for some time in the attempt to devise the proper measures to be taken for obtaining the means required to supply this indispensable need. The least sum which would suffice is $500,000.

Could there be a worthier memorial monument of any man who cared for the advance of truth than a library such as that which the university should have?

The opportunity seems to me a noble one for the classmates of Mr. Brooks and his friends, and the friends of the university, to give to the Phillips Brooks library and reading room as the worthiest sign of honor to his memory.

C. E. NORTON."Cambridge, Feb. 2.