Prizes at Columbia.

Prizes of $1000 and $400 have been established at Columbia for the best works published in the English language upon the history, archaeology, geography, ethnology, philosophy or numismatics of North America.

The competition, under the deed of gift, is open to all persons whether or not connected with Columbia, and whether citizens of the United States or any other country. The first award will be made at the close of the present year for the best work published since Jan. 1, 1888. Authors may submit works to President Low of Columbia College not later than June 1st 1893, but the competition will not be restricted to works thus submitted. No works will be considered except those that represent the original research of the author and constitute a distinct contribution to science.

A permanent endowment has been provided so that the prizes will be awarded at least every five years. Early in 1894 the college will call for the investigation of certain subjects and the publication of the results, and the best works produced in answer to this will receive the prizes.

Mr. Joseph F. Lonbat of New York is the giver of the endowment for the prizes.