Correspondence on Yale's New Proposition.

We print below the latest proposition made by Yale in connection with the present question of the purification of athletics, together with Harvard's answer. The correspondence speaks for itself and needs no further comment here.

Mr. Lewis Hill, Athletic Manager Harvard University:

DEAR SIR - In your correspondence and meetings you have maintained consistently that you were ready to meet us half half in our effort to reform. Prof. Ames, the chairman of your athletic committee, in the Harvard Graduates' Magazine of January, 1893, says: "It would be a great gain, too, for the true interests of intercollegiate athletics if by mutual agreement the teams should be made up exclusively from undergraduate players."

That is the position Yale has now taken. Harvard's representative at the athletic meeting suggested an amendment to Yale's proposed rule to the effect that graduates of one year's residence should be allowed to compete, but when Yale accepted the amendment the Harvard representative voted against it.

From yourself we hear that Harvard's objection to any attempt at reform for the present is that it will affect men now in college and now in training. We do not wish any effort that we are making for reform to become a stumbling block to the arrangement of a series of baseball games between Harvard and Yale, and while we intend to do our best to make the reform here we will make our arrangements with you for this season upon the following basis:

We will make no condition unsatisfactory to you regarding your players for this season, provided you will give us a statement of what your proposition is for future purification of athletics. In other words, all we ask is that you, not being satisfied with the present, shall suggest the plan which you yourselves would propose or would be willing to carry out, not even binding yourselves to follow it for this season. We are desirous of your co-operation in our attempt to purify athletics, and we hope you will see fit to give us your suggestion upon that point. Very sincerely yours.

N. H. SWAYNE, 2d,Manager Yale University B. B. A.