New England Magazine

The New England Magazine for March is not an unusually good number. It opens with an article by George E. Ellis, "With Dean Stanley and Phillips Brooks at Plymouth." This is undoubtedly the best article of this issue, and is illustrated with portraits of the two great preachers. That of Bishop Brooks is very poor. David B. Frankenburger contributes a well illustrated article on the University of Wisconsin. He gives a short sketch of the life of the University with brief histories of some of the most notable men who have been connected with it. William S. Nevins, the well known writer on witchcraft has an article on the importance of "The Study of Local History." One of the best things in this number is "Proportional Representation" by Stoughton Cooley. It is an able treatment of an important subject which is now a matter of interest to everyone interested in the purification of our politics. Samuel J. Barrows, editor of the Christian Register, contributes "The Massachusetts Prison System." Mr. Barrows has served on the Prison Commission and is therefore well acquainted with his subject. It is an interesting article giving descriptions of the Sherborn Prison for women and the Concord Reformatory. "Ye Romans of Casco Bay" is continued this month, dealing with the picturesque region of Casco. It is illustrated by the author, H. Martin Beal, and Sears Gallagher. "Lost Pueblo" is a fanciful story of the sole survivor of a lost race. It is written by Verner L. Reed. The fiction of the number consists of two short stories, "The Salvation of a Missionary" by E. C. Martin, and "Mr. Burbitt's Bible Class" by Marvel Edwards. Neither of of them is very good. The number is unusually rich in short poems, two of which are very good, "The Courting Stick" by Mary Stansbury, and "The Mirror" by Basil Tempest.