The Graduate Club.

Professor Marsh addressed the Graduate Club last evening on "University Life in the Romance Countries of Europe." It has only been within the last sixty years that the American student has come in contact with European professors, and this contact so far has been mostly with German professors. It is now that we should turn our attention more towards the universities of the Romance countries of Europe, - especially France, Italy, and Spain.

In France the most important institutions of learning are the University of Paris and two of less importance in the southern part of the country. At Paris the American student would be surprised at the confusion evident in the various departments. The students are among the most industrious in the world, and the professors equally so. They dress shabbily and are for the most part in poor circumstances. The professors have not more than six hours of lecturing during the week and consequently have more time to put on original productions than the American instructors who have at least fifteen hours.

The Italian universities numbering twenty-nine, rank next in importance to the French. Here the students are as industrious and earnest as in France. The universities of Spain are of the lowest order of the Romance countries, and are not worthy the attention of the American student.

Professor Marsh closed by advising graduates to pursue one year at an American University and then to study in some famous institution in France or Italy.

The mandolin club added much to the pleasure of the evening by rendering three selections.