Appleton Chapel.

Dr. A. P. Peabody preached at Appleton Chapel yesterday evening, taking his text from Genesis, Chap. XXIX, verse 10. He spoke on Christ's wonderful life, and urged all to try to live Christ-like lives. He especially advised the students as follows:

In these first days of the college year I want to say to the students a few words which may not come amiss from one who filled here for many years the place of a teacher in morals and religion. Many of you are in the common phrase professors of religion. While I rejoice in the fact I do not like the term. It sometimes cherishes a quasi-godly sort of self-conceit. and it keeps many out of the church who ought to be in it. I go to the table in my own house not because I profess to be well filled but because I am hungry and thirsty; and I ought to go to the Lord's table, not because I profess to be good. but because I want to be. I wish you would all resort to the Lord's table.

How can you best accomplish having your religion honored in the entire circle of your acquaintance? not by ostentatious professions. Make your quiet yet efficient profession by constant attendance on christian worship and ordinances and by taking your modest port in such associations for religious improvement as have your confidence and sympathy. Follow the leading of your own enlightened conscience by letting no cumulative force of example or persuasio turn you one hair's breadth from what you regard as your duty; by making your own way through college a right line, a straight line in the direct way from earth to heaven. Make your uttered profession whenever your silence would mean assent or indifference. Show your colors and stand by them but do not parade them out of season. Do nothing for effect; always act your Christian self. Shun religious cliques.

Show what Christ can do for a soul and a life. Create a true church of Christ in your own home and among your friends. Go on in the same quiet way, and when you die, your work will not all follow you, but will go on broadening and deepening how far and how long you will not know till the harvest of souls shall all be gathered in.

The choir sang the following anthems:

She sun shall be no more thy light - Woodward. Bendictus Agnes Dei - Woodward. Soloist Willie Macdonald.