Address by Rev. Mr. Crothers.

The Rev. Samuel J. Crothers spoke last evening with great earnestness on the need of organization in all religious work.

There are tendencies at work in these busy days of political and mercantile interests which are gradually divorcing the religiously inclined from organizations of any sort. The reason in part for this estrangement is that the church has changed in its relation to religion.

In former times there was a feeling that the church was the seat of authority and that religion meant the church. This feeling has entirely disappeared; with the springing up of new instruments of thought and education the church has lost its hold on power and the believers in close organizations are falling as much behind the times as supporters of the Macedonian Phalanx would be in this era of rifles and gattling guns.

If we would attain what is highest and best in life, we must study historical religion. The broadening, which is the result of this study, should develope into a sweet reasonableness which will make us interpret every creed at its best.

The effect of this educational spirit in modern times is all towards universality. We learn to look at Christianity, not as something which happened long ago in Judea, but as a constantly growing influence which is receiving its life from the best materials in every country.

We cannot serve humanity most efficiently by working apart from our fellows, for when we lose this close feeling of brotherhood, we lose what is best in religion; if we would accomplish the highest and best in results we must work together.