The Journal of Economics.

In the January number of the Quarterly Journal of Economics appears an article written by Carlos E. Closson, Jr., '92, on "The Unemployed in American Cities." At this time, when the whole country is still in such financial difficulty, and so many thrown out of employment, a subject of this sort is of especial interest. Mr. Closson has gone to great pains to find the real conditions of the unemployed classes in all the great cities in the United States. Most of his information has been obtained from some three hundred replies received to a circular of inquiry sent to public officials and other citizens of all cities in the United States of over twenty thousand inhabitants, as well as of many smaller places. The data thus obtained carry the question down almost to date. The different states are separately considered, and in each case is given the number and condition of the unemployed, and the measures adopted by the municipalities, by organizations and individuals, for providing temporary employment or other relief.