Student Volunteer Work Meeting.

A meeting in the interests of the religious societies of the University and of volunteer work was held last evening in Sanders Theatre. The audience was large, and the speeches were received with enthusiasm. President Eliot presided, and opened the speaking with a short address.

The meeting, he said, was the first of the kind ever held in the University or even in the world. Heretofore at Harvard the kind of philanthropic work, which it was the purpose of the meeting to further, had been carried on entirely by the religious societies and their members, - not acting in cooperation, but individually. The new movement was intended to combine all the societies, that they might gain strength from union, and also to bring into the work other men who were not members of any religious organization, but were ready to help in the common charity. The reason that brought men of different creeds and doctrines together to work side by side lay in the fact that they all felt the same deep love for God and man, and they knew that these sentiments were best expressed by philanthropic work.

The President then introduced Dr. McKenzie of the First Church of Cambridge.

It was evident, he said, that if there was to be any relation with Christ it must be personal and close. Christ told his disciples to go and bear witness of him to men, and tell others what his teachings had been to them. This was the duty he expected of all his followers. A Christian must first be manly, noble and pure himself, and then teach others how to be so. The hardest part of a Christian's life was to confess God man to man, to try to make other men true and earnest in their life. Yet this is the duty of every Christian.

Professor Peabody was the next speaker. He spoke more particularly of the practical part of the work. The purpose of the meeting, he said, was two-fold. In the first place it was to show to the newcomers the nature of the religious societies of the University. In the second place it was to do the former work of these societies more systematically and better.

Bishop Lawrence was then introduced by the President.

The great question, he said, to be considered was not so much what this work would do for the students as for the people. They were in need of help, terribly in need of help. They were weak, suffering and sick, and a little encouragement, or a little kindness would be a blessing to them.

The last speaker of the evening was ex-Governor Russell.

Anything, he said, which broadened a man's view by bringing him into relation with other men is the best thing possible for any man, and especially for a young man.

Short speeches were also made by representatives of the religious societies of the University. These speakers were as follows: The Catholic Club, T. A. Mullen L. S.; the Oxford Club, H. C. Wright, Divinity School; St. Paul's Society, T. R. Kimball '95; Harvard Religious Union, A. Hall, Divinity School; Y. M. C. A., R. T. Capen '95.

Men who are willing to help in this philanthropic work should send their names to C. E. Noyes, 7 Ware, or E. H. Warren, 19 Matthews.