U. of P. 18; HARVARD 4.

Our Eleven Barely Escapes from a Whitewash.

PHILADELPHIA, PA., November 29. - The Harvard eleven which, less than a week ago outplayed Yale at Springfield and seemed to many the the best team that had ever played upon a college gridiron, met the eleven of the University of Pennsylvania on the University grounds this afternoon and was defeated by the overwhelming score of 18 to 4.

Though the two teams at no time in the game appeared so unevenly matched as these figures would indicate, and though the contest was a severe one from beginning to end, yet the strength of the Quakers became evident before the game was far advanced. Harvard was severely handicapped by the injury of five of her players, including the captain, two backs and the centre rush, and that the team played the game they did under such disheartening circumstances does them the highest credit. The grim determination with which they kept up a plucky uphill fight when all hope of winning was practically gone, showed a spirit of which Harvard's supporters may well be proud.

The playing of the Pennsylvania team undoubtedly entitles them to the distinction of being the strongest eleven in the country. Their score was earned by good football playing and there was no slugging or brutal play of any sort to stain the victory. Pennsylvania's interference was very well developed and at times was of the most brilliant order. The Harvard team played a remarkably skilful game, which was marred, however, by an occasional costly fumble.

The day was a splendid one for football. The four large grand-stands were completely filled and several hundred people who were unable to get seats were crowded around the low fence that surrounded the field, when at two o'clock the Pennsylvania team and shortly afterward the Harvard team ran on to the field. Wild bursts of applause rose from both sides of the field and flags of crimson and red and blue were waved gaily in the air.

Laurie Bliss of Yale was chosen referee; Dashiel of Lehigh, umpire; Dr. Brooks and Schoff linesmen.


The captains held a short consultation and then the two teams started to take their positions for the kick-off. Havard had won the toss and chose the western goal with the sun and a slight wind at their backs.

Brooke kicked off to Harvard's 20 yard line but by a kick of Fairchild's the ball was returned to Harvard's 45 yard line. Knipe made ten yards through right end, and then Osgood eight more through left end.

Then Gelbert was given the ball and gained three yards through centre, but before Pennsylvania stopped her advance Harvard got the ball on a fumble and C. Brewer at once took it forty yards through centre. At the next line up Harvard was held.

Fairchild kicked to Osgood, but the latter muffed the ball and Norton Shaw fell on it at Pennsylvania's 50 yard line. Whittemore tried right end for no gain, and again Fairchild kicked, this time to the 25 yard line.

Again Pennsylvania fumbled, but did not lose the ball, and Brooke kicked to centre, where C. Brewer fell on the ball. Whittemore went 15 yards around right end, and then C. Brewer shook off Brooke and succeeded in making a touchdown, but the ball was taken back and given to Pennsylvania for off side play.

Knipe made eight yards through right tackle, and Wharton bucked the centre for four yards, and then the ball went to Harvard on downs.

C. Brewer made three yards and Fairchild punted to Brooke on Pennsylvania's 20 yard line, where A. Brewer was on hand to prevent any advance. Gelbert made a beautiful run around right end, but Osgood fell on the next play, losing 10 yards. Brooke kicked to the centre of the field.

Harvard kicked and there was an exchange of punts, Fairchild's last one going out of bounds at Pennsylvania's 45-yard line. Gelbert double-passed the ball to Brooke for three yards. On trying left end Osgood lost four yards, so Pennsylvania kicked out to C. Brewer on Harvard's 25-yard line.

Whittemore rushed 20 yards around right end, and then C. Brewer took the ball to the centre of the field. Thus far Pennsylvania's line had not held very well. Fairchild kicked to Brooke, who was again beautifully takled by A. Brewer, this time on the 25 yard line. Brooke's ankle was slightly wrenched in the operation.

On the next play Gelbert lost 5 yards on Waters' beautiful tackle, and after a short gain by Osgood, Brooke had to kick. The ball reached C. Brewer, who held up his hand for a free kick. Rosengarten paid no heed to this, however, and his tackle gave harvard 15 yards.