Letter from Dr. Bowditch.

BOSTON, Dec. 7, 1894.To the Editors of the Crimson:

While feeling the keenest sympathy for the splendid young life at Harvard and having the firmest belief in the manliness and honor of the great majority of the students, I should nevertheless be lacking in my duty to them and to the Alma Mater were I not to express myself strongly in condemnation of an event which lately took place in Boston, flagrant in its selfishness and utter disregard of the rights of others.

I refer to the behavior of a number of Harvard students at the Boston Museum on the evening of Saturday, Dec. 1, after the victorious freshman football game.

I had the misfortune to be present that evening with members of my family and with other graduates of Harvard.

Never in my life have I been so amazed, so mortified, so incensed, as on that occasion.

Not only was the entrance of many of these students boisterous in the extreme, but the disheveled appearance, and language of one or two at least was such as to make a young girl at my side shrink in disgust. During the whole performance not only was a constant noise kept up, but the actors and actresses were guyed and annoyed, often most insultingly, and had it not been for the courage of the chief actress, who finally refused to proceed with her part until quiet had been restored, the performance might have ended in dire confusion.

Especially do I condemn the behavior of a few young men in a private box whose actions deserved to be classed with those of Bowery "toughs," rather than of members of the leading university of America. I am glad to say, however that one outrageous insult which they flaunted in the face of the whole audience twice, if not three times, was resented by many of the students themselves.

I am well aware that due allowance should always be made for natural exuberance of spirits after a well-earned victory, but when liberty becomes license, when victory means subsequent behavior that brings shame and disgrace upon the name of Fair Harvard, then victory is a thousand times worse than honorable defeat, and it is time for every one of her sons, old and young, to rise and protest.

I am confident that among the number present that night were many who in their own minds, at the time and since, have condemned the whole proceeding, but that unfortunately can not now wipe out the impression made upon hundreds who are only too apt to believe from the behavior of comparatively few that Harvard College is but another name for idleness and dissipation.

I therefore wish to appeal through your columns to the undergraduates now to do their utmost to check the growing tendency to such disgraceful exhibitions in public places. A spirit of true manliness must grow from the students themselves. Let us be above any necessity for police interference on such occasions. Let the name of Harvard University grow to be not only the synonym of high education; let it also be another name for that true manliness which means honor, courtesy and respect for the feelings of others. I remain,

Very respectfully yours,VINCENT Y. BOWDITCH '75.