The Musical Clubs' Concert.

The annual concert of the Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs and the Pierian Sodality was given in Sanders Theatre last night before a large audience.

The concert was on the whole the best that has been given in Sanders Theatre for many years. The programme was admirably selected and every one of the clubs showed an unusually high degree of training. Especially was this true of the Pierian Sodality. The playing of Strauss's "Blue Danube" waltz was of the highest order. Though the strings were decidedly better than the wind instruments, yet the whole orchestra played in a way which far exceeded anything that they have done before.

The singing of the Glee Club, especially in the softer songs, "Ben Bolt" and "In Picardie," was marked by an unusually careful attention to expression. The latter song was, from a musical point of view, the best on the programme. The only serious defect was in the vocal waltz "Invitation," in which the piano accompaniment was too light to keep the voices in tune. The new march, "Onward," was sung with excellent spirit, but old "Schneider's," which was sung as an encore after the first number, was better rendered than it has ever been before. The solos were all good and were very enthusiastically received. J. A. Wilder L. S. sang a number of very good new songs. The chorus of his first one, "A Nineteenth Century Miracle," composed by J. A. Carpenter '97, was especially good.

The standard of the Banjo and Mandolin Clubs in the winter concerts of the last few years has been high, but it is no exaggeration to say that their playing last night surpassed all that they have done before. Both of the Mandolin Club's selections were played with admirable expression and the "Darktown Patrol" of the Banjo Club was as clever a piece of banjo work as is often heard.