U. of P. Athletes Not Professionals.

Yale May Examine the Faculty Books to Prove it.

[N. E. Associated Press.]

NEW HAVEN, CONN., Dec. 7. - The Yale Athletic Association received a proposition from the faculty conference committee of the University of Pennsylvania, which has caused a flutter of excitement on the Yale campus. It is signed by George W. Pepper, secretary of the committee, and calls attention to the charges of professionalism which have been so frequent in the newspapers recently, relative to the members of the University of Pennsylvania football eleven, who are arbitrarily termed "professionals."

Mr. Pepper states that there is naturally a doubt as to whether the newspaper articles are from irresponsible parties or whether they have been printed at the instigation of the Yale association.

He says that the honor of the faculty committee is concerned in the charges brought, as the connection between them and the Pennsylvania athletics is close, and he invites the Yale association or any person to whom Yale chooses to give the proper credentials, to inspect the books of the University of Pennsylvania faculty and to see if the charges of professionalism are substantiated therefrom. He offers to give any Yale committee all the assistance possible in ferreting out ineligible students.

One significant paragraph of the communication follows:

"The status of college athletics before the public has been jeopardized during the season that has just closed as the result of occurences upon the football field, which all lovers of true college sport must deeply regret and it would seem to be most ill advised under these circumstances to sanction by acquiesence the making of public charges which directly impeach the good faith of college men, or if the charges are to be preferred, to select the columns of newspapers as the place to exhibit them. It is therefore the hope of the committee that you will take immediate action upon this communication."

The rest of the communication is confined to a recital of the eligibility rules of the University of Pennsylvania Athletic Association, which are given in detail, and to a long list of newspaper clippings which charge the University of Pennsylvania football players with being professional athletes.

The managers of the Yale Athletic Association think that the Pennsylvania faculty have been hasty, as no formal charges have been brought. They state, however, that they will answer the communication as soon as it is possible for them to confer.