Lecture by Walter Camp.

Walter Camp delivered a very interesting lecture on football last evening before the University Club of Boston.

Youth, Mr. Camp said is the time when the body receives its greatest development, and much importance should be attached to the means for obtaining the best development of the body that is possible. Exercise then ought to be made a pleasure rather than a duty, both to the boy and to the college man, for after leaving college vigorous exercise is either relaxed or wholly given up.

President Eliot recently said, in speaking of college athletics, that the increased interest taken in them by Harvard men had done much to raise the standard of morality and study among the students.

Football, besides forming sound bodies and better standards of morality, has another advantage of great account, and this is the spirit of enthusiasm which it stimulates. It teaches a man self reliance, and gives him courage to bear up under defeat, and to try anew with fresh vigor. The danger in playing football is certainly no greater than in many of the other good out-door sports such as polo, and no out-door game is worth a rap into which no accident or mishap could possibly find its way.

It is fallacy to think that football men are bruisers. They are chosen for their pluck, energy and courage, and these requisites are more often found in the more intellectual and gentlemanly students than among the brutal ones. Gill and Cowan, who were perhaps the most famous tackles who ever played football, were both ministers, and four out of the last six captains at Yale have been in good standing in the University and prominent Y. M. C. A. men.