The Latin Play.

This year, for the first time in the history of Harvard, a Latin play is to be presented by the undergraduates of the college; and the Phormio of Terence has been selected because it approaches nearer than others to the modern play in the plot and its development. The date for the presentation has been practically settled as the nineteenth of April, the anniversary of the Concord Fight; for the Latin plays, in the days of their popularity, were reserved for festival occasions; and it is the aim of the Latin department to make as exact a reproduction of the original as possible. With this in view, the twenty-second of February had been selected; but it was found that Sanders Theatre was to be occupied on that date, and this caused postponement.

The department has long desired to present a play, but up to this time the difficulty of getting suitable music has proved too great. This year, however, Mr. Allen has been successful, and his music is now nearly ready. It will be confined to wind instruments, clarinets and the like, three or four of which will actually be played behind the scenes; but to complete the effect there will probably be a number of musicians playing dummies before the stage. About half of the play will be accompanied in this way.

The libretto is now being printed at the University Press. It will contain both the Latin and the English words of the play, together with a new prologue which Professor Greenough has written, and which will be better suited to the circumstances of the presentation than would the o d.

The cast of the play has not yet been decided on, but there is little doubt that J. R. Oliver and J. T. Stickney will take leading parts. The other actors will be selected from students under the Latin department, in whose hands the entire management will rest.

Mr. O. D. Story, of Somerville, has been consulted about the scenery, Mr. A. Roth about wigs and make-ups, and Mr. G. C. Raymond about costumes.