First Winter Meeting.

The first winter meeting of the H. A. A., which took place in the Hemenway Gymnasium Saturday, was on the whole rather dull and uninteresting. Putting the shot was the first event, and there were but two entries, J. R. Finlay '91, and S. H. Evins, L. S. Finlay's first and best put was 39 ft. 10 in., which broke the Harvard indoor record of 37 ft. 10 1-2 in. Evins' best put was 35 ft. 11 in.

Next came the middle weight wrestling, in which A. M. Crane '94, and G. R. Taylor '94, were the contestants. Taylor was taller and appeared stronger than Crane but the latter was quicker and more scientific. Taylor opened the bout with a rush, but Crane secured a good hold and threw him. They struggled for a while and time was called. In the second round Crane got a half nelson, but could not turn Taylor who slipped out and forced Crane to form a bridge. Both men seemed somewhat winded and were resting when time was called. The third round was much the same as the first two and as neither man secured a fall the remainder of the match was postponed until after the other events, when Crane secured a fall after wrestling about 12 minutes.

The light weight sparring was by far the most interesting event on the programme. M. L. Black '91, and J. L. Dodge '91 were the only entries. Black led with left and landed. Dodge rushed and both received several blows. Dodge rushed again and led with left. Black cross-countered and drew first blood. Dodge opened second round by landing on Black's face. Both rushed and clinched; round ended with both sparring for wind. The last round was very exciting and was give and take from beginning to end. Numerous rushes were made by both men, which generally ended in a clinch. Both men were very groggy when time was called. The judges disagreed and Referee Shaw gave the match to Black.

The feather weight wrestling was between J. D. Stults '91, and B. Elsas '94. Stults was much the taller and was forced to lean over, thus placing his neck within Elsas' reach. Stutts started the bout by rushing, but Elsas got a neck hold and threw him. Elsas here got a strangle hold and was ordered by Bangs to break. In the second round Elsas again got a neck hold and threw his man. Stults slipped away and getting Elsas by the leg placed his foot on Elsas' neck but failed to turn him. Time. In the third round Stults got a hold and threw Elsas, who slipped from under and again got a neck hold. Here each man almost secured a fall; time was called with Stults on top. The remainder of the match was postponed until after the other events, when the men wrestled for 40 minutes before Elsas secured a fall.

The fifth event was the fence vault in which O. W. Shead '93, G. S. Curtis '92 and A. H. Green '92, competed. They started with the bar at 6 ft. which all cleared. Curtis dropped out at 6 ft. 6 1-2 in., and Shead at 6 ft. 11 1-4 in. Green was unable to clear the bar at 7 ft. 4 3-8, thus failing to beat Shead who had a handicap of 4 in. Green was second.

The light weight wrestling (under 140 lbs.) was the next event for which J. L. Dodge '91 and S. Paine L. S., were the contestants. In spite of the fact the he had boxed a short while before, Dodge appeared to be much stronger. The first round was very lively and both men rushed frequently but time was called without a fall. The second round was much the same as the first. In the third Dodge rushed and catching Paine by leg and neck lifted him from the floor and threw him on his back, thus getting a fall and winning the match.

The last event was the middle weight sparring between R. T. French '93, and J. H. Howard '94. Howard, who strained a muscle in his arm a short time ago, was unable to continue after the first round, so the match was given to French, who had done all the leading that had been done, and had scored some clean blows.