Harvard Wins the Debate.

NEW HAVEN, April 28.- The sixth debate between Harvard and Yale took place last evening in the Hyperion Theatre. As in all the previous debates, Harvard won. Chauncy M. Depew presided in his usual happy manner. The judges were Professor Matthews of Columbia, Governor Brown of Rhode Island, and Dr. Rainsford of New York. They announced after the debate that the Harvard men had shown themselves superior to the Yale speakers, but by a slight margin.

C. A. Duniway opened the debate for Harvard. He said that the proposition had two evident features. It would require the secretaries to act in dual capacities, and would add eight full members to one branch of Congress, and that the locally representative house. He attempted to show that the first of these aspects was an unwise admixture of executive and legislative functions, and that the second ran counter to the allpervading theory of American constitutional government.

Gay H. Baum, the first Yale speaker, said in defence of cabinet representation in the House that it would do much to expedite business, as the general outline of legislation would be prepared in advance by the cabinet officers. This, he said, would give a uniformity to legislation that is impossible under the present system of committees, and would bring about a greater sympathy between the House and the executive.

The second speaker for Harvard was W. E. Hutton. He took as an example of the probable results of the measure, the condition of affairs in Denmark, where the mere entrance of the ministry in the House had caused incessant strife. He also quoted as examples England and France, and asserted that every popular government had had like experience. The dangers under such a measure would be great and would end in making the President a puppet.

The second speaker for Yale was Herbert H. Kellogg. He said that cabinet membership in the House would restore the constitutional balance between executive and the legislature There would be an advantage in having members who would be responsible to no constituencies and abler statesmen would be appointed to cabinet offices.

The third Harvard speaker was W. C. Douglas, Jr. He asserted that the difference between the arguments of the opposing sides was that the affirmative assumed the perfection of human nature, while the negative ventured to declare its fallibility. In other countries the measure in question or similar measures had been tried and proved impracticable.

Harold E. Buttrick was the third speaker for Yale. He said that much time is now wasted in requests for information from the executive departments, and delays in the sending of replies have often resulted seriously. There should be free intercourse between the executive and the legislative. Cabinet membership would not only bring this about but would locate definitely the responsibility for the administrative policy.