English VI.

DEBATE OF FEBRUARY 29, 1888.Question: "Do political and social reasons speak for the maintenance of the protective system of the United States?"

Brief for the Affirmative.J. M. Shahan and W. M. Willett.

I. Social advancement is only secured by nations whose wealth is sufficient to make possible leisure, learning and the means of refinement. The rise of wealthy classes in a nation adds to its political security.- Ellis H. Roberts in New Princeton Review, May, 1887; J. S. Mill, Political Economy.

II. A protective policy is more productive of wealth in the United States than any other policy, because- (a) the greater the natural resources of a country the greater will be the wealth developed under protection; (b) under protection the United States have contributed more to the benefit of the world than could have been done under any other policy; (c) a protective tariff secures a nation's markets for its own products and so develops diversified industries which promote the general welfare.- Ellis H. Roberts, New Princeton Review, May, 1887; Stebbins, Amer. Protectionist Manual, ch. 3; Fawcett's Free Trade and Protection, pp. 90-97.

III. The widest diversity in industry and occupation tends to a nation's welfare, because-(a) diversified industries promote the general intelligence of a people, and general intelligence stimulates social advancement; (b) general intelligence promotes the political welfare of a nation, since it qualifies a people to deal with public questions, and it fosters attachment to country and love of justice; (c) protection develops the genius for invention and discovery, stimulates science, and gives an impetus to civilization.- Bowen's Political Economy, 491-492; Cairne's Leading Principles, Book III, c. 4, and 7.

Brief for the Negative.F. L. Dean and B. W. Palmer.

Best short references.- Cairnes, Leading Principles, pp. 406 7; Fawcett's Free Trade and Protection, pp. 91-98.

A. Civil and moral constitutions.

I. The civilizing benefits of diversity of industry are not due to protection.- Cairnes Leading Principles, bk. III., ch. IV., and 7; Fawcett's Free Trade and Protection, p. 91.

II. On the contrary, protection annihilates the greatest civilizing element, international trade.- Cairnes, ibid.

III. Protection encourages (a) ideas of socialism, and, (b) among protectionists, false ideas of what the government's relation to them ought to be. The labor problem is made more difficult.- Fawcett, ibid, E. L. Godkin, in New Princeton Review for March, 1887, p. 164.

IV. (a) The national independence fostered by protection is good only in case of war. It is better to prevent war altogether by establishing a large free international trade.- D. A. Wells in Atlantic Monthly, vol. 36, p. 216. (b) Free trade in the end gains a better and greater independence by forcing our people to the greatest energy of their intellectual powers, instead of rendering them indolent by unwise assistance.- Cairnes, p. 407.

B. Political considerations.

V. Protection causes political evil by endangering (a) corruption among the law-makers, and (b,) hatred among our industrial classes.- W. G. Sumner, Lectures on History of Protection, p. 165; Grosvenor, Does Protection Protect? p. 239.

VI. Laws interfering with the industrial interests of the people cannot be sound, impartial and stable.- D. A. Wells, Atl. Mo., vol. 36, p. 215.