Boylston Prize Speaking.

The competitive declamation for the Boylston prizes took place last night before a large audience. The speaking as a whole was excellent, and of higher grade than that of any previous year. All the competitors showed careful training and appreciation of the passages selected by them, The prizes were awarded as follows: First prizes, G. S. Howe, W. F. Richard; second prizes, E. R. Thayer, Wm. Barnes, R. B. Mahany. In making the announcement of the decision of the judges, Professor Torrey said that a first prize had been awarded unanimously to G. S. Howe. The next four competitors were very evenly gouped, but according to the conditions of the foundation of the Boylston prize, another first prize was awarded to W. F. Richards, and second prizes to the other three successful declaimers. The judges were Professor Torrey, Rev. Alex. McKenzie, Messrs. Morefield Storey, Henry W. Putnam, Francis C. Lowell, Professor Briggs, H. W. E. Russell, Professor Hart, and Frank Bolles, Esq.

The speaking was a triumph for the school of simplicity as exemplified by the teachings of Mr. Hayes.