Harvard '97, 5; Yale '97, 3.

The freshmen won from Yale on Saturday in the prettiest game that has been seen on Holmes Field this year. The playing was sharp and lively and the closeness of the contest kept the interest sustained until the last man was out. Harvard's success was largely due to the battery work of Paine and Scannell. While the former did not strike out many men, he prevented Yale from hitting safely at critical moments. Scannell caught a good steady game and did much to save his pitcher from having several wild pitches scored against him. His work with the bat, also, was remarkable. In the field Stevens and Garrison did the best work. Both made very creditable catches of difficult fly balls.

Yale scored twice in the second inning. McCandless hit a long three-base hit which rolled across the tennis courts in right field. Paine made a wild pitch and McCandless crossed the plate. C. Reed went out, Stevens to Warren, and Smith was put out on an easy grounder to Anderson. R. Reed then got his base on balls and scored on Stevenson's misjudgment of Fincke's hit. Beale made a beautiful running catch of De Forest's hit to short left field and so closed Yale's inning.

In Harvard's half Scannell led off with a triple but lost a chance to score in an attempt to come in on Steven's hit to the infield. Harvard had the bases full in the next inning but a fine catch of Stevenson's liner by Quinby prevented any runs.

In the last part of the sixth Warren got to first on an error by short, and scored on singles by Stevenson and Scannell. Scannell was forced at second by Steven's hit and a moment later Stevenson was put out at the plate in attempting to come home on Garrison's grounder to R. Reed. Then Anderson got his base on balls and with the bases full Paine got a hit. Stevens and Garrison scored but Anderson was caught off third.

Harvard got two more in the eighth on hits by Garrison and Anderson, a passed ball, and a fumble by Quinby. Yale scored once in the ninth on a base on balls, a passed ball and errors by Scannell and Stevens. The score:

HARVARD '97.

A.B. R. 1B. P.O. A. E.

Dean, 2b. 4 0 1 1 1 0

Beale, l. f. 4 0 1 1 0 0

Warren, 1b. 3 1 0 10 0 0

Stevenson, r. f. 4 0 2 2 0 1

Scannell, c. 4 0 3 5 0 1

Stevens, s. s. 4 1 0 2 2 1

Garrison, c. f. 4 2 1 4 0 0

Anderson 3b. 3 0 1 1 3 1

Paine, p. 4 1 1 1 7 0

Totals, 34 5 10 27 13 4

YALE '97.

A.B. R. 1B. P.O. A. E.

Quinby, s. s. 5 0 1 2 1 2

Harris, l. f. 4 0 0 2 1 0

Jerrems, r. f. 4 0 0 0 0 0

McCandless, 2b. 3 1 1 3 0 1

C. M. Reed, c. f. 4 0 0 1 0 0

Smith, p. 3 0 0 2 5 1

R. Reed, 1b. 3 1 0 3 1 0

Fincke, 3b. 3 1 1 4 3 0

DeForest, c. 3 0 0 7 1 0

Totals, 32 3 3 24 12 4

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard '97, 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 2-5

Yale '97, 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1-3

Three-base hits-Scannell, McCandless; struck out-Beale, Garrison, Stevens, Quinby, Harris, R. Reed; passed balls-DeForest 3, Scannell; wild pitch-Paine; hit by pitched ball-Harris. Time 1h. 45m. Umpires-Murray, Weeden.