YALE, 5; HARVARD, 1.

First Game the Blue has Won in Cambridge Since 1889.

The 'varsity nine lost yesterday in the first game of the season with Yale, or one might more properly say, in the first game of the season with Carter. The pitching of the Yale man was a hopeless puzzle to almost every Harvard batter. Whittemore and Cook were the only men who did not strike out at all. There have been few pitchers under this year's rules who have been able to run their strike-outs into the double figures. Outside of Carter, the Yale team did not show itself any better than Harvard. When the infielders were given a chance they did not appear to advantage. The outfielders had noting but easy chances.

The Harvard team, with the one exception of Winslow, played a good fielding game. Cook picked the ball up beautifully. His two errors were due evidently to his ambitiousness to get the ball over to first quickly. Whittemore played his usual steady game and distinguished himself by his catch of Stephenson's liner in the first inning. Wiggin played a great game in centre; a prettier throw than that by which he caught Reddington at the plate has not been seen on Holmes field for some time. Highlands pitched a fine game but made one wretched throw in the third inning.

Yale was first at bat. Rustin went out, Cook to Dickinson. Murphy got to first on an error by Winslow and then Case drove the ball far out into centre field for a home run. Highlands struck Carter out. Then Stephenson hit a low liner toward Whittemore. It seemed impossible that he could reach it but he just caught it before it touched the ground though he fell in the attempt.

In Harvard's half, Whittemore got his base on balls but was forced at second on Cook's slow grounder to Carter. Dickinson then got first on Murphy's error, while Cook went to third. Dickinson started to steal on the next ball. Greenway threw to Murphy, whereupon Dickinson started back toward first. While trying to run him down Case made a poor throw and Cook scored. Paine went out on a fly to Speer and Scannell struck out.

The second inning was a short one. Speer flied out to Wiggin, Greenway hit a grounder to Cook which the latter handled very prettily and Reddington sent up a pop fly to Dickinson. In the second half of the inning Wiggin struck out. Winslow got his base on balls but was forced at second by Highland's grounder. Beale closed the inning by striking out.

Arbuthnot got his base on Winslow's error and scored on Highlands' very wild throw of Rustin's grounder, the latter reaching third on the same play. Murphy went out on a grounder to Highlands. Case sent out a long fly to Wiggin which brought Rustin home. Carter was out on a fly to left field. Harvard did little. Whittemore got to first on balls, stole second and got third on a passed ball. Cook sent up a fly to Stephenson and Dickinson struck out. Paine struck at two balls and then Whittemore, thinking the umpire had called the third one, started back to field his position when he was caught out at second.

In the next inning Stephenson struck out. Speer got a pretty single to centre and reached third on a passed ball. Greenway flied out to Winslow and Reddington went out Cook to Dickinson. Harvard went out in one, two, three order.

In the fifth Arbuthnot got his base on Cook's wild throw, Rustin struck out, Murphy forced Arbuthnot out at second and was in turn forced by Case. Winslow got his base on balls, the next two men struck out and Whittemore knocked an easy grounder to Cartper.

Yale scored in the sixth on Stephenson's three-bagger and Speer's long fly to centre. Harvard got Dickinson and Paine on bases with one man out and then Scannell and Wiggin flied out.

The seventh was marked by the beautiful theow by which Wiggin cut off Reddington at the plate. Scannell deserved praise for the quickness with which he got the ball on his man.

The rest of the game was uneventful.

YALE.A.B. R. 1B. P.O. A. E.

Rustin, r. f. 5 1 0 1 1 0

Murphy, 2b. 4 1 0 3 0 1

Case, s. s. 4 1 1 0 2 1

Carter, p. 4 0 0 1 14 0

Stephenson, 1b. 4 1 2 10 1 0

Speer, l.f. 4 0 1 3 0 0

Greenway, c. 4 0 0 7 1 0

Reddington, c. f. 4 0 0 0 0 0

Arbuthnot, 3b. 4 1 1 2 3 0

Totals, 37 5 5 27 22 2

HARVARD.Whittemore, 2b. 2 0 1 3 0 0

Cook, 3b. 4 1 0 0 4 2

Dickinson, 1b. 4 0 1 10 0 0

Paine, 1.f. 3 0 0 1 0 0

Scannell, c. 4 0 0 4 0 0

Wiggin, c.f. 4 0 1 6 1 1

Winslow, s.s. 2 0 0 2 1 3

Highlands, p. 3 0 1 0 7 1

Beale, r.f. 4 0 0 1 0 0

Totals, 30 1 4 27 13 7

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yale, 2 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 0-5

Harvard, 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-1

Earned runs-Yale 2; three base hit-Stephenson; home run-Case; stolen bases-Whittemore, Dickinson, Winslow; first base on balls-by Carter 5; struck out-by Carter 10, by Highlands 3; passed balls-Greenway 2, Scannell; hit by pitched ball-Paine. Time, 2h. 5 m. Umpire, Hartley.