Harvard Union-Trinity Club Debate.

The debate between the Harvard Union and the Trinity Club last night was more than ordinarily interesting and well contested. The speeches of both, sides were good and the audience applauded frequently. The speakers were:

for Harvard, J. P. Gately Sp., F. H. Smith '95, and C. A. Duniway Gr.; for Trinity Club, F. N. Perkins, J. H. Quincy, and R. C. Surbridge. Mayor Bancroft presided.

The Harvard Union had the affirmative of the question, "Resolved" That the standing army of the United States should be increased." Its speakers argued that the extended borders of this country could not be properly defended, in case of war, by an army of 25,000 men. They showed that by raising this number to 30,000, the expense would be increased only six per cent, arid that the added number of men would make possible the battalion formation, in which a large number of new men could be added at any time without trouble or confusion.

In reply the speakers for Trinity Club said that there was little likelihood of war. Our foreign relations are more peaceful than they have ever been before. Arbitration is coming to be used more and more to settle disputes between nations. And even if a war should arise the addition of from three to five thousand men would make little or no difference. The position of this country as the best market for the products of European nations also lessened the chance of war; for no one quarrels with his best customer.

After the debate refreshments were served.