Princeton's Name.

The name of "College of New Jersey," which officially belongs to Princeton, has so utterly fallen into disuse, that it is hoped to get it dropped even officially. The feeling on this subject is suggested in a recent Princetonian editorial:

"The name 'College of New Jersey' has become obsolete. To be sure this title is on official documents, is on the seal, and is the proper name of the institution. But it means little today. A great many people who are deeply interested in the welfare of Princeton would have to think twice to understand a reference to the 'College of New Jersey.' So far as we are aware the state gives the college no material help and it is a question whether any lustre is added to our fame by having the name of a state linked to the title. Certainly it suggests contraction, limitation. So far as the deeper consideration is concerned, is Princeton a true university? - we believe there is no hard and fast definition of a university and the conclusion must be left to individual decision. But the president and many who know most intimately our animating spirit as well as our history and present capacity are fond of talking of 'Princeton University.' Next year the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary will be celebrated. We hope that at that occasion in addition to the signs of prosperity and usefulness which will probably be shown, and in addition to changes that may be inaugurated looking to a widening of our sphere of influence, it may seem best to start the new era by adopting as official, what is already the real name - Princeton University."