Pennsylvania and Cornell.

In concluding a lengthy article on the relations in rowing matters between the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell, the Pennsylvanian says:

"If the rowing problem among American universities is ever to be settled, if any arrangement is ever to be effected whereby the champion crew may be determined each year, it is absolutely necessary that Pennsylvania and Cornell continue to meet in their four mile races. It is only by such means, and through the continued improvement of these contests that the winner can here to meet the winner of the Yale - Harvard contest and the championship can be decided. If Pennsylvania is responsible for any interruption to the annual four mile race with Cornell, then she can undoubtedly be held responsible for postponing the day when the aquatic championship of American universities shall be determined."

The winter and spring term at Yale began yesterday, but the professional schools do not resume work till tomorrow. The calls for candidates for the various athletic teams have not yet been made, but will be in a few days.

Cornell has decided to take the affirmative in the debate against the University of Pennsylvania, the question being: "Resolved, That the most effective means of restricting the liquor traffic is the elimination of the element of personal profits."