ENGLISH 6.

Debate of Oct. 17, 1895.

Question: "Resolved, That the A. P. A. organization deserves the cordial support of American citizens."

Brief for the Affirmative.CHARLES DICKINSON and E.M. GROSSMAN.

Best general references: Principle in Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894; American citizen, Nov. 17, 1894; W. E. Gladstone, Rome and Religion; E. D. Mead, The Roman Catholic Church and the Public Schools; Bishop Coxe, The Jesuit Party in American Politics; Madison C. Peters, Wrongs to be Righted; Thomas Rush, The Roman Catholic Machine turned inside out.

I. The principles of the A. P. A. are in accord with the constitution of the U. S.: Charles Eaton, A Religious Test.

II. It justly opposes the political domination of the Roman Catholic Church.- (a) The Pope claims supremacy over our civil government: Vincent in Forum XV, 263; Encyclical letter of Pope Leo XIII, Am. Cath. Quar. Rev. XIX, 777-789.

III. The A. P. A proposes reforms which are for the best interests of American institutions.- (a) They defend our free non-sectarian public schools: McGlynn in Forum, XVI, 13; E. D. Mead, The Roman Catholic Church and the Public Schools, 85-103.- (1) They oppose the employment of the subjects of any foreign ecclesiastical power, as teachers or officers in said schools: Harpers Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894; American Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894; (2) They condemn the support out of the public treasury of any sectarian school or institution not owned or controlled by public authority: Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894; American Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894.- (b) They oppose the holding of public office by the subject of any foreign potentate: Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894; American Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894.

IV. The A. P. A. organization aims at the complete separation of church and state.- (a) It opposes exemption from taxation of all church property.- (1) It maintains that such exemption is equivalent to governmental support: American Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894; Madison C. Peters, Wrongs to be Righted, 20-75.

V. The A. P. A. organization undertakes other important reforms.- (a) It advocates the opening of all institutions in which people are under restraint to public inspection; Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894; American Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894.- (b) It advocates uniform naturalization laws: Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894; American Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894.- (c) It advocates the extension of the term of probation: American Citizen, Nov. 17 1894; Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894.- (d) It advocates the prohibition of pauper imigration: Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894.- (e) It advocates the restriction of immigration to all except to those who show promise of becoming self-supporting American citizens: Harper's Weekly, Oct. 27, 1894; American Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894.

Brief for the Negative.W. P. DUTTON and F. B. Fox.

Best general references: Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894; Century, XLVII, 789-795, (Mar., 1894), XLVIII, 954, (Oct. 1894); Forum, XVII, 196-206, (April, 1894), and 513-523, (July, 1894); North American Review, Vol. 159, p. 278, (Sept. 1894); Weadock in Cong. Record, June 8, 1894, p. 5997; Senator Hoar in Boston Herald, Aug. 13, 1894.

I. The principles of the A. P. A. are found.- (a) in their professions: Citizen, Nov. 17, 1894.- (b) in their oaths: Forum, XVII, 519.- (c) in their actions: Century, XLVII, 789-795.

II. Discrimination against Catholics is an uncalled for injustice.- (a) Membership in the church is not irreconcileable with good citizenship.- (b) American institutions are not in danger from Rome.- (1) Decline of papal power at home and abroad.- (2) Numerical weakness of Catholics in America: Censas Bulletin, Statistics of Churches.- (3) Increasing liberality among Catholics: Washington Gladden in Catholic Columbian, Oct. 8, 1894.- (4) Publicity of action in the U. S.: President Eliot in Forum, XVIII, 138, (Oct. 1894)-(c) A religious test is unconstitutional.

III. Discrimination against Catholics is unwise.- (a) Economically.- (b) Dangerous.

IV. Secret political organizations are unamerican: Century, XLVIII, 954. (Oct. 1894.- (a) because secret.- (b) Pledges are likely to conflict with officer's duties.- (c) Control of members votes.

V. The methods of the A. P. A. are bad: Weadock in Cong. Record, June 8, 1894, p. 5997.- (a) Misrepresentations and deceits.- (b) Adoption of methods the deplore in Catholics.- (c) Unconstitutional means: Denver Daily News, Oct. 6, 1894.- (d) Revengeful methods.- (1) Against officials refusing to join.- (2) Against members withdrawing from order.