Anthropology Dept. Forms Eight Committees in Response to Harassment and Gender Bias Concerns

Harvard Cancels Summer 2021 Study Abroad Programming

UC Showcases Project Shedding Light on How Harvard Uses Student Data

Four Bank Robberies Strike Cambridge in Three Weeks

After a Rocky Year, Harvard Faces an Uncertain Economic Climate in 2021, Hollister Says

ENGLISH 6.

Debate of Oct. 3, 1895.Question: Resolved, That the present Sunday-closing law in New York should be repealed.

Brief for the Affirmative.H. E. ADDISON and S. P. DELANY.

Best general references: Nation LX, 67 (Jan. 24, 1895); Public Opinion XVIII, 59, 65 (Jan. 17, 1895), 101 (Jan. 31, 1895); Forum XX, 1, 211 (Sept., Oct., 1895), Louis Windmuller, On the Resuscitation of the Blue Laws; Cyclopedia of Temperance and Prohibition, Articles Excise and Sunday-closing; New York Evening Post, Sept. 19, 1895 (Interview with Dr. Parkhurst); New York Evening Post, Sept. 24, 1895 (Speech of Mr. Perry Belmont); Editorials in N. Y. dailies Sept. 19-28, and in the Boston Herald Sept. 28, 29, 30.

I. The present law is difficult of execution.- (a) Against the wishes of the majority of the New York voters: Forum XX, 211 (Oct., 1895); Nat. LX, 67; Boston Herald, Sept. 29, Editorial.- (b) No police equal to the task: Nat. LX. 67; Forum XX, 211.- (c) Needless expense of time and money.

II. It leads to class discrimination.- (a) The rich man's club.- (b) The rich man's side board: New York Tribune, Tuesday, Sept. 17.

III. It is an impediment in the way of municipal reform: Dr. Parkhurst in New York Evening Post, Sept. 19.- (a) Arouses the lower classes against sound government: Nat. XL, 67.- (b) Throws the vote of the drinking population into the bands of Tammany, Nat. XL, 67.- (c) The law was passed for purposes of blackmail: Roosevelt, in Forum XX, 1.- (d) Destroys public respect for law: Nat. XL, 67.

IV, It vitiates the conscience of the indivdual by encouraging deceit and evasion.

V. The exigencies of the case can be better met by other methods.- (a) Local Option, Parkhurst: N. Y. Post, Sept. 19; Nat. XL, 67; Boston Herald, Sept. 28, 29, Editorials.- (b) More liberal legislation, Mayor Strong in Public Opinion XVIII, 101; Forum XX, 211.

Brief for the Negative.C. E. BRYAN and A. C. TRAIN.

Best general references: Theo. Roosevelt, in Forum, XX. 1 (Sept. 1895); McClure's Magazine, Vol. V. 475-480 (Oct. 1895); N. Y. Evening Post, Sept. 1, 2, 3; Public Opinion, 11 July '95, p. 51, July 25.

I. The present law is a good and desirable law.- (a) For religious reasons: Pub. Opinion, July 11, '95.- (1) Those who desire to use Sunday for purposes of worship are entitled to protection from disorders or disturbances.- (2) Those who desire Sunday for proper recreation should be protected against coercion. Pub. Opin. July 11, '95.- (b) For economic reasons.- (1) $184, 000 which was spent every Sunday for beer alone before the enforcement of the law would be diverted to better channcls: Pub. Opin., July 25, '95.- (2) Workingmen, instead of spending their wages in drink, and so injuring their powers for work, would save the money, or take their family for an outing: Roosevelt in Forum, Sept., '91.- (c) On the score of good order: Pub. Opin., Aug. 1, '95.- (1) Improves public morals: Pub. Opin., July 23, '95.- (2) Number of Sunday arrests for drukenness diminished one-half: Roosevelt in Forum, Sept., '95.- (3) Work of hospitals on Monday as a result of drunken brawls diminished one-half: Ibid.- (4) Work of city magistrates correspondingly decreased in Monday sessions: Ibid.- (5) Felonies decreased one a day during Roosevelt administration: Ibid.- (6) Enforcement of the law would drive a large number of the saloon keepers out of business: Independent, Aug. 29, '95, p. 11. McClure's Oct. '95, p. 479- (d) A similar law is in successful operation in Boston, Philadelphia and Washington: Outlook, 14 Sept., '95.

II. The law is practicable in New York: N. Y. daily papers-(a) Roosevelt has enfored the law: McClure's, Oct., '95,p. 477.- (1) Number of arrests for violation of Sunday-closing law has greatly decreased: N. Y. Tribune, Sept. 2, 9, '95.- (2) He has compelled the Liquor Dealers' Association to support the law: N. Y. Post, Sept. 3, '95.- (b) The law has the support of the people: N. Y. Post, Aug. 12, '95.- (1) Testimony of Warner Miller and D. B. Hill: Wine and Spirit Gazette, 18 July, '95.- (2) Roman Catholics favor the law: Letters in N. Y. papers signed A Catholic Pastor; Procl. of Plenary Council, Balto., 1884.

III. The present law is preferable to local option.- (a) Judgment of New York City is not so safe as that of the State.- (1) The population of N. Y. City being 80 per cent. foreign-born or children of foreign-born, is unfit to decide American excise questions: N. Y. Post, 9 Aug., '95.- (2) Saloons control the primaries, and local option would put the city government in the hands of saloon keepers entirely: Independent, 29 Aug., '95.- (b) Local Option is liable to grave abuse.- (1) In Wisconsin the town goes so far as to determine the rate of licenses: N. Y. Post, 25 Sept., '95.