YALE LETTER.

The Game of Rugby Union.- Princeton Game.

NEW HAVEN, March 14, 1896.

The recent action of the Intercollegiate Track Athletic Association in arranging for bicycle races separate from the regular field meet has given bicycling an impetus, and more systematic work in this branch of track athletics has resulted. The university squad now numbers about twenty-three men who have been in training since the middle of January. Up to three weeks ago the work consisted of daily exercise in the gymnasium but since that time the candidates have been able to do outside riding until the recent snow storm. This has handicapped the team considerably as they were just beginning to do faster work.

The squad is under the leadership of E. Hill '97, and of the men in training about ten will be selected. It is thought that eight single riders and two tandems will be entered in the intercollegiate races. Men will also be entered for the Harvard meet on June 3, besides the regular circuit races around New Haven. Through the efforts of the Athletic Association the individual expenses of the riders will be very small. The project of having a Yale bicycle meet early in May, similar to the Harvard races in June, has been discussed somewhat, but it is doubtful if this can be accomplished this year.

Arrangements have been made for the accommodation of the crew while in England. They will be quartered in a quiet club house near Henley during the entire stay. The Grosvenor Club of London, which has grounds at Henley, has granted the privileges of the club to the crew, and a prominent boating men has offered to look after the shells. Thirteen men will be taken over and Mr. Robert J. Cook '76 will accompany them as coach. Two shells, exactly similar to those used by Yale for the past ten years, will be taken along. A careful canvass has been made of the candidates for the crew, and it is found that none will be disqualified by the clause in the Henley entrance requirements which prohibits any person who has done manual labor from rowing at that event. The expense is roughly estimated at $10,000. Of this about $3,000 has been either paid in or subscribed by the freshman and sophomore classes. The remainder will be raised from graduates, the Financial Union and the two upper classes in college.

After two months of work in the rowing tank, the University crew went out on the harbor for the first time this season last Saturday afternoon. The men were taken out in barges, Captain Treadway coaching the first crew and Simpson '97 the second. The heavy cakes of ice in the harbor prevented any long or fast spins. The first crew is at present: Bow, D. Rogers '98; 2, Marsh '98; 3, Beard '96; 4, J. Rodgers '98; 5, Bailey '97; 6, Longacre '96; 7, Treadway '96; stroke, Langford '97 S.

YALE NEWS.