'VARSITY vs. '96 and '97.

The Juniors Almost Score.- J. E. N. Shaw Begins Training.

There was no regular football game yesterday afternoon. The 'varisty was lined-up first against the senior class eleven and later against the junior class eleven. The first practice game was only ten minutes long because the 'varsity found it could do about as it wished with the seniors. But the juniors proved more formidable antagonists and threatened for a time to score.

Against '96, Gonterman made one touchdown, and could have made another. He had cleared the field, but was recalled, when it was evident that he could score if he continued running.

The line-up was:

'VARSITY. SENIORS.

Cabot, l.e. r.e., Duff.

Stevenson, l.t. r.t., Dyer.

Holt, l.g. r.g., Merriman.

Doucette, c. c., Fox.

Jaffray, r.g. l.g., Paine.

Donald, r.t. l.t., Bull.

Newell, r.e. l.e. Selfridge.

Borden, q.b. q.b., McKittrick.

Gonterman, h.b. h.b., Lee.

C. Brewer, h.b. h.b., Harrison.

Fairchild, f.b. f.b., Satterlee

Throughtout the half against the seniors the play of the 'varsity was slow and without snap. The senior eleven was weak behind the line. The junior eleven, however, was strong both on the offensive and defensive. They played a quick game throughout.

After FAirchild had made a touchdown with the aid of Cabot's effective interference, the juniors picked up and played a hard aggressive game.

Warren made several long gains through Stevenson, while Garrison fooled Newell several times on a crisscross play around left end. This, with the five yards which '97 got for Stevenson's off-side play, brought the ball to the 'varsity's seven yeard line.

Here the 'varsity held '97 for four downs and soon had the ball out of danger again. The playing, however, was always in the 'varsity's territory. Once more '97 got the ball to the fifteen yard line but could not score.

The line-up was:

'VARSITY. JUNIORS.

Cabot, l.e., r.e., Rantoul.

Stevenson, l.t. r.t., Pitts.

Holt, l.g., r.g., Ladd.

Doucette, c. c., Fitzgerald.

Jaffray, r.g. l.g., L. Williams.

Donald, r.t. l.t., Phelps.

Newell, r.e. l.e., Fenno.

Borden, q.b. q.b., Garrison.

Gonterman, h.b. h.b., Warren, Scott.

Fairchild, h.b. h.b., Sanders.

C. Brewer, f.b. f.b., Hallowell.

After the 'varsity had finished playing '97, the latter lined up against the second eleven for a time, but the playing was not so snappy as before.

Norton Shaw was out in his football clothes yesterday and began training. It is not probable that he will be able to play either against Cornell or Princeton, but it is hoped that he will be able to get in shape for the Pennsylvania game.