THE CAMBRIDGE TEAM.

How the Englishmen were Entertained Yesterday.

In spite of the rather inhospitable aspect of the weather yesterday, the English athletic team were given a warm welcome by the University and seemed to enjoy the day thoroughly.

The party arrived in Boston at half past seven in the morning. Mr. Evert J. Wendell was in charge of the party. They were met at the station by a committee composed of Dr. W. A. Brooks, W. H. Goodwin, J. Mott Hallowell, R. S. Hale, L. W. Jenkins, J. L. Bremer, A. H. Bullock and George S. Mandell, and by them were escorted to the club house of the Boston Athletic Association.

After breakfast the members of the party who belonged to the B. A. A. showed the visitors over the building, visiting the tennis courts, bowling alleys, and gymnasium. The tallyho was then brought around, and the party started on the drive through the suburbs. It was expected that this would prove one of the pleasantest features of the whole reception, but unfortunately the weather interfered, for before the drive was half over the rain was coming down hard. The party drove out over Commonwealth avenue to Brighton, and then to Soldiers Field, to give the visitors a chance to see the new athletic house and the football gridirons. From there they went to the Longfellow House, and so round to the College.

There was a large gathering of students on the steps and in front of Harvard Hall, as the tallyho rolled through the gate, and they gave the visitors a hearty "three times three" for Cambridge. In Harvard Hall President Eliot was introduced to them, and he welcomed them to Harvard, after which members of the football squad, and men prominent in other branches of athletics, were invited to meet them. They were then taken under the escort of the undergraduate committee which had been appointed to the care of them, and the party broke up for the time, while the visitors were escorted, singly, or in small parties, to such parts of the college as their individual likings suggested. At one o'clock they met again at the Hasty Pudding Club, where the party was entertained by the club at luncheon.

In the afternoon the visitors watched the football for a time and at five o'clock took the coaches for Boston.