Dr. Herron at Harvard.

On Tuesday evening of next week, University students will have an opportunity of hearing Professor George D. Herron, of the Chair of Applied Christianity in Iowa College. He is without doubt one of the most discussed men whom the recent social movement has brought forth.

Dr. Herron is an apostle of social reform from the standpoint of Christian Idealism. The church, the state, man, human relations are Christian only as they embody a sacrificial quality of life. The whole social order is measured and tested from the standpoint of sacrifice. In the application of this doctrine, Dr. Herron is logical and unflinching. His results are, in certain cases, extreme, and to some, his conclusions seem even to be unsafe. But the directness of his teaching, his earnestness, his insight and his eloquence give him a large hearing wherever he speaks. He has travelled all through the Middle States and the Pacific Slope, but this is his first extended visit in the east.

Mr. Robert W. Wood, of the Andover House, has arranged Dr. Herron's time in Boston for the next two weeks. He is under engagement to deliver a course of lectures every afternoon, and to give special addresses before the Iwentieth Century Club, the People's Union, the Wells Memorial and other representative organizations.

The subject of the Harvard lecture is "Individual Failure and Social Progress," in the Fogg Art Museum, Tuesday evening, Nov. 19, at 7:45 o'clock. The public is invited to be present.