No Headline

The approach of warm weather again brings to our notice one of the crying wants of the college yard. While the authorities are hardly called upon to furnish the students with a patent Coggswell fountain, they assuredly ought to see that the pumps which grace our yard should be made to forsake their idleness, and become as useful as they have hitherto been ornamental. The student is at present scrupulously restrained from quenching his thirst, except at meal time, by any other means than by resorting to the opponents of the Harvard Total Abstinence Society. It is in the behalf of this society as well as in behalf of the thirsty freshman that we now lift up our voices for reform. The water which is furnished to the dormitories is of such a quality that while it hardly could be said to be drawn from the river at low tide, we are puzzled to imagine where else it could have been procured. There is hardly a pitcher in the dormitories which does not require cleansing at the end of the week. But we cannot expect reform in a matter which touches so closely the question of dormitories; and while we look and hope for the period of comfort which will follow the appearance of the new dormitory, we only desire at present the renovation of our pumps.