B. A. A. Boxing Tournament.

The Boxing Committee of the Boston Athletic Association yesterday afternoon decided not to hold the big intercity boxing tournament which had been slated to take place in Mechanics' Hall in January next. At this meeting it was proposed, as was the case last year, to pit the best amateur boxers to be found in New England in the various classes against a team selected by Harry Cornish of the Chicago Athletic Association. These tournaments have been very popular and successful in the past.

The action of the B. A. A. Committee is merely a recognition of the precarious condition of boxing in Boston. This pastime has been brought into such disrepute by those who should have fostered and elevated it that no meeting can be held, even under the most respectable auspices, without danger of police interference. In view of the fact that the Police Commissioners are opposed to all public boxing shows, and that the new Legislature is sure to enact more stringent laws governing the public conduct of the sport, the B. A. A. Governors have decided that, though they might hold their tournament under the guest-ticket system, it is best to await developments before giving any more tournaments.