'VARSITY BASEBALL.

Resignation of Colonel Winslow.- Prospects for a Good Nine.

Captain Dean took to the training table yesterday the following men: Scannell, A. P. Davis, Paine, Haughton, Stevenson, Chandler, Hayes, Rand and Burgess. These men have received orders to be measured for uniforms.

On Wednesday or Thursday the team will probably move up to Holmes Field for practice, as the first game will be played there next Saturday with Tufts College.

The daily practice on Soldiers Field consists of batting at the nets and fielding practice, after which the 'Varsity plays with either the second or College nine or both. The squad is doing very good work now; the fielding is generally sharp and clean, and the batting very fair.

The pitchers have not gotten up much speed as yet, for fear of lame arms. Paine is doing the best work in the box, with Haughton a good second. Scannell, who is in the Medical School, has been out only a few days and has not done much hard work yet. A. P. Davis, who caught on last year's Freshman nine, is doing the best of the new men. Cochrane is also catching very well this year, but he has done very little in the outdoor practice on account of a lame arm. Haughton is playing a good game at first. Captain Dean is covering second well, and Stevenson at third is putting up a strong game. Stevenson is covering more ground than he did last year, and his batting also shows improvement. Chandler is showing up well at shortstop. He picks up cleanly, but is not such a strong thrower as Hayes. Loughlin, a Freshman, is playing a good game there also. Rand and Burgess seem likely to hold their places at left and right field. For centre-field, Lynch, of last year's Freshman team, is showing up well, though Beale is playing a very good game on the second nine. The first and second nines played yesterday as follows:

Paine, Haughton, p. p., Foster 1900, McCornick.

Davis, c. c., Morton, Cochrane.

Haughton, Stearns, 1b. 1b., Foster.

Dean, 2b. 2b., Beale.

Stevenson, 3b. 3b., Gregory.

Hayes, s. s. s. s., Loughlin.

Rand, l. f. l. f., McCall.

Lynch, c. f. c. f., Morse.

Burgess, r. f. r. f., Chandler.