THE GRADUATES' MAGAZINE.

The December Number Contains Many Interesting Articles.

The December number of the Graduates' Magazine which is just out is fully up to the standard of former issues in the interest and value of its articles and in the copiousness of its records.

The illustrations are a frontispiece engraving from a photograph of the Fogg Art Museum and a portrait of Nicholas Boylston from the familiar full-length painting in Memorial Hall,- the fourth in the series of Historical Portraits.

In the first article, "Three Characteristics of Harvard," Dr. George A. Gordon '81 calls attention briefly to the nonsectarian, "inclusive" type of Christianity at Harvard, to the national rather than local spirit of the University, and finally to its "administrative democracy."

Judge Oliver Wendell Holmes's eloquent Memorial Day address of last spring follows. Its publication in the Magazine happily puts it within the reach of the many Harvard men who were unable to hear it.

Professor Ira N. Hollis has an article of very important significance on "Engineering at Harvard University." His discussion of the inadequacy of the present four years' course and of methods of improving it deserves careful attention. A five year course is suggested, three of which should be in the College and the last two in distinctly professional training; or, if all five years should be spent in the Scientific School, the first four might obtain the ordinary B. S. and the fifth the degree of B. S. in engineering.

"From a Graduate's Window" we are told of a dialogue with Socrates in which that philosopher "roasts" the Fogg Museum and the Corporation's utilitarian view of architecture. On his own responsibility "Graduate" satirizes the diplomacy of intercollegiate sport, especially with relation to a certain affair between colleges "A" and "B." He closes with "two maxims, long held as truths among antediluvians: 'Do not whitewash ! Cultivate sport for the sake of sport, and for nothing else!'"

The article on Nicholas Boylston accompanying the Copley portrait is by Professor Barrett Wendell '77. Besides the brief history of the portrait, sketches are given of the five incumbents of the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory founded by Nicholas Boylston, John Quincy Adams, Rev. Joseph McKean. Edward Tynel Channing, Francis J. Child and Adams Sherman Hill. Of Professor Hill Mr. Wendell says that he has established the study of Rhetoric and English which he found one of secondary importance, as one of the first academic rank.

Professor A. B. Hart '80 has written a statement of "Harvard's Athletic Policy," "based on authentic information," for the use "of Harvard men who live at a distance, or are befogged by contradictory newspaper opinions." It needs only to be said that Professor Hart, while admitting that the separation from Yale was "the culmination of difficulties which have been rolling up for the past three years, and for which the responsibility is divided," defends Harvard's policy during the last year and points out the better condition of athletics which has resulted.

Dr. Thomas Fillebrown's answer to the question "Shall Dentistry be Taught as Medicine?" is of great interest. The substance of the article is that dentistry, or more properly the science of stomatology, should be put on the same footing as the various specialties of medicine such as Ophthalmology and Laryngology, for which a broad medical training is deemed essential.

The regular departments of the Magazine are as copious as usual. As of especial interest may be mentioned the statistics of the enrolment of the University in this and other years, and in comparison with other institutions this year; the discussion of the examination problem and that of giving greater prominence to scholarly attainment; biographical sketches of the recipients of honorary degrees; the infirmary problem; and a list of some one hundred and fifty former graduate students, with brief notes of their work and occupation since their residence in Cambridge.