Communication.

Republican Club Statement.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

DEAR SIRS:- Permit me to call the special attention of members of the University and of the general public to the fact that on Saturday evening, March 28, Mme. Sarah Bernhardt will play Phedre. In the French classical tragedy there are two plays that stand out above all the other masterpieces in that particular form of drama: Corneille's Polyeucte and Racine's Phedre, the one the finest sacred tragedy, the other the finest profane tragedy. We are to have the opportunity of seeing the latter performed by the greatest modern actress. The part of Phedre is consummately difficult: Mme. Sarah Bernhardt plays it to perfection. She has gained in it the unanimous applause of the most exacting critics and of every admirer of Racine.

I feel very strongly that the opportunity of seeing this wonderful play, with Sarah Bernhardt as the heroine, is not to be missed by any one in the least degree interested in dramatic art in general or in French literature in particular. A truer conception of the French classical drama of the 17th century can be obtained from a close study of this coming performance than from many lectures and much reading.

F. C. DE SUMICHRAST.