Anthropology Dept. Forms Eight Committees in Response to Harassment and Gender Bias Concerns

Harvard Cancels Summer 2021 Study Abroad Programming

UC Showcases Project Shedding Light on How Harvard Uses Student Data

Four Bank Robberies Strike Cambridge in Three Weeks

After a Rocky Year, Harvard Faces an Uncertain Economic Climate in 2021, Hollister Says

ENGLISH 6.

Debate of December 12, 1895.Question: Resolved, That American cities should own and operate the street cars within their limits."

Brief for the Affirmative.E. M. GROSSMAN and F. H. SMITH, JR.

Best general references: National Conference for Good City Government, Philadelphia, 1894 (also bibliography at end of the book); A. H. Sinclair, Municipal Monopolies and their Management (Toronto Univ. Studies in Pol. Sci. No. 2); Solomon Schindler, The Use of Public Ways by Private Corporations, a reply to S. L. Powers in Arena V. 687-693. (May 1892): The Relation of Modern Municipalities to Quasi-Public Works (Am. Ec. Assn. Pubs.); A. D. White, The Government of American Cities, in Forum, X. 357-372 (Dec. 1890); Albert Shaw, Municipal Government in Great Britain.

I. The ever increasing tendency today is towards government control of quasi-public works.- (a) This also applies to municipalities as shown in the present condition of affairs: Professor Hadley in Pol. Sci. Quar., III. 573 (Dec. 1888); Municipal monopolies and their Management, 35.

II. Street railways are quasi-public works.- (a) Because they are of a public nature.- (1) In their economic relations.- (2) In their legal relations.- (3) In their use of public highways.

III. Under the present system of private ownership and management there are many evils: A. R. Conkling, City Goverment in the United States, 111.- (a) Because they are conducted primarily for private interest.- (b) Because a great source of corruption in municipal politics.- (1) Undue lobbying on the part of car companies.- (2) Partial discrimination by city authorities.- (c) Because a great waste of municipal wealth.

IV. These evils will continue so long as the present system exists.- (a) They can not be abolished by law.- (1) Legislative interference is ineffectual.

V. The great advantages to be gained from municipal ownership of street railways are-(a) That they will be conducted entirely for public interest.- (b) That a great source of corruption in municipal politics will be removed.- (1) It will stop lobbying.- (2) It will stop discrimination.- (c) That the people instead of the company will be the gainers: The Arena, V. 692 (May 1892); City Government in the United States, 176.- (1) Either fares could be reduced, or-(2) The service could be improved, or-(3) The returns could be expended in public works.- (d) That there would be a more expedient mode of redress in case of grievances.- (e) That a better condition of the streets could be maintained.- (f) That strikes would be prevented.

VI. Municipal ownership and operation is practicable.- (a) As shown from the experience of American cities in the management of water and gas.- (b) As shown in the case of foreign cities.

Brief for the Negative.S. P. DELANY and A. G. LEWIS.

Best general references: Political Science Quar., III. 576-595 (Dec., 1888); Engin. Mag., V. 725; A. R. Conkling, City Govt. in the U. S.; Nation, LVIII, 285 (Apr. 19, 1894); LVI, 449 (June 22, 1893); LX, 102 (Feb. 7, 1895); A. R. Foote, Municipal Ownership of Quasi-Public Works; John Stuart Mill, Political Economy, Book V, ch. 11, 1-6; Bastable, Public Finance, 184 ff; Bryce, American Commonwealth, II, 367-385 (on Philadelphia Gas Ring); A. C. Burrage, Municipal Lighting; Hadley, Railroad Transportation.

I. Municipal ownership of quasi-public works is unwise in theory.- (a) It is an undue extension of the powers of government: J. E. Dillon, quoted in speech of E. W. Burdett before Mass. Legislature, p. 17.- (b) It tends to paternalism and socialism: Wm. E. Russell, quoted, Ibid, p. 18.- (c) Discourages invention and improved methods in public works.- (1) Kills competition: Speech of A. C. Burrage, p. 18.- (2) Removes the incentive to profit making: Pol. Sci. Quar. Dec. '88, p. 590.- (3) Leads to conservatism.- (d) Public labor less efficent than private: Chairman of Boston Park Commission, in speech of Burrage, p. 11.- (e) Tends unduly to raise wages.- (1) The employer is the best judge of reasonable wages.- (2) Government control makes the laborer the judge: Nation LX, 102.

II. The present conditions in American cities are such that municipal ownership and management of street railways would be undesirable.- (a) Those who control municipal politics are not men of good business capacity.- (b)Corruption would be increased.- (1) All employes of street railways would become part of the political machine.- (c) Would increase the already serious problem of municipal indebtedness: Bastable, p. 184.- (d) In large cities municipal lines would clash with suburban lines.- (e) The remedy for present evils lies in additional regulations by the city government: Burrage, p. 17.

III. Government ownership of quasipublic works has failed in practice.- (a) State ownership has proved unwise.- (1) Railways in Europe: Hadley, pp. 217, 228. 235.- (2) Telegraph system in Eng and: Pol. Sci. Quar., Dec. '88, p. 590 ff.- (b) Municipal ownership has proved undesirable.- (1) Gas-lighting.- (x) English Cities: Board of Trade Reports to Parl., 189.- (y) Philadelphia: Bryce, Am. Com., 367 ff.; Speech of P. A. Collins before Mass. Leg., p. 12.- (2) Electric Lighting and Power: M. J. Francisco, in Engin. Mag., v. 725.- (3) Waterworks: Boston, Albany, Philadelphia: Conkling, pp. 21, 100; Burrage, p. 10.