INTERCOLLEGIATE FOOTBALL.

The Faculty Think the Athletic Committee Should Abolish It. - Opinions Expressed.

At a meeting of the Faculty held yesterday afternoon it was voted as the opinion of the body, that it would be well for the Athletic Committee to put an end to intercollegiate football. The Faculty further decided that this opinion should be sent to the Corporation with a request that they forward it to the Athletic Committee.

This vote of the Faculty, though it will doubtless have considerable weight with the Athletic Committee, is merely an expression of opinion. The final action in the matter, in fact the entire decision of the question, rests with this Committee.

The Athletic Committee is appointed by the Corporation and consists of nine members; three members of the Faculty, three graduates and three undergraduates. The present committee consists of the following men: Faculty members Professors James Barr Ames, George A. Bartlett and William Davis; graduate members - Edward H. Bradford, William Hooper and Perry Trafford; undergraduate members - P. W. Whittemore '95, J. C. Fairchild '96 and R. H. Stevenson '97.

It was at first the intention at the meeting yesterday afternoon to discuss the question of confining football games to college grounds, but before any such action was taken, the motion with regard to the advisability of abolishing intercollegiate football altogether was introduced and passed.

OPINIONS OF FOOTBALL MEN.Nearly all of the prominent football men were seen last night and questioned as to their opinion of the Faculty's action. As was of course to be expected, they were unanimous in expressing their disapprobation. They were not inclined to discuss the matter at any length because it seemed to them that the Faculty's action was so hasty and unadvised as to deserve condemnation for that fact alone. A careful investigation of all injuries received by football players last season has been made and it was the intention to submit to the Faculty a report on the subject as soon as it could be drawn up. With this report there were to be presented suggestions for modifying the game, so far as objectionable features could be removed by changes in the rules; so far as an improvement in the spirit of the players is concerned, none know so well as they do that the life of the game depends on the maintaining of a true sportsmanlike spirit next year. The action of the Faculty, taken before hearing all that the football men had to say in defence of the game, seemed to the latter to be a deliberate refusal to take their propositions in good faith.

FACULTY OPINION.Members of the Faculty naturally felt hesitancy in commenting upon their action. Dean Briggs thought it best not to give any account of the way the vote was passed, but the impression received from other sources was that the vote, as passed, was not the result of prolonged deliberation, although the subject of placing restrictions on intercollegiate football had received considerable attention. One member of the Faculty said that he thought that the consideration which most affected the action was that the principal games had become such large and unwieldy affairs and attracted so many persons who had no college associations or interests; this he stated, however, as an argument rather for the restriction of intercollegiate games to college grounds, than for their complete abolishment.